Overseeding ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by birddog, Feb 12, 2001.

1. birddog

birddog LawnSite Member

I have done a search and not found exactly what I'm looking for.

Do to the inability of one of my accounts to water her newly seeded lawn correctly last spring, it came out patchy and thin. I tried to overseed it a month or so after the first mowing, with little result.

My questions are:
    1. should I hold of on overseeding it again?

2. I realize that Kentucky Bluegrass takes a while to fill in, but how long ?

3. is dormaint seeding an option ?

4. and if dormaint seeding, should it be down now ?

[Edited by birddog on 02-12-2001 at 11:37 AM]

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I would wait until the soil is at least 50 degrees and rent a slit seeder and go over it. If they won't water it, hope for rain.

3. birddog

birddog LawnSite Member

Should I loosen what soil I can or does using the slit seeder eleviate that ?

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

This machine will put slits in the ground and drop the seeds in it. Blue grass takes longer to germinate, this is why it is more important to get it in the ground instead of on the ground so the birds don't eat it. You will get a bigger % of germination doing this.

5. birddog

birddog LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advise !

6. I suggest you use a 50-50 mix of rye and blue. The rye will be up in a week and will give some cover while the blue takes up to a month to germinate.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

I AGREE WITH LAWRENCE, ryegrass takes about 8 days to germinate, while bluegrass takes about 28, myself i use a mixture of rye, bluegrass, and fescue. i usually use a thatcher and set the forks real low get down into the soil. i would definitly tell the client to water twice a day with a light mist for only about 5-10 min each time. and, if they cant do this, the bare spots r not yur problem. hope this helps, BOB

8. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

You might want to go with a little less than 50% on the ryegrass. Anything more than 20-30% will establish and dominate the site faster than bluegrass. Just a thought.

9. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Also, a good idea would be to top coat the seed with Compro, especially this time of year, Will help keep the seed to a more optimum tempature for germination.

SJR

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what is compro? how is it applied(spreader?)