1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by StepNjump, Mar 25, 2006.

1. StepNjump

StepNjump LawnSite Member

Hi guys, is it still time to overseed my lawn? I have fescue.

I've heard this term. I was planning to put little soil on top of my lawn and then after adding some seeds. Is this how it's done?

Thanks a lot in advance,

StepNjump:canadaflag: :usflag:
  2. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

several ways. you can rent a slitseeder its like a dropspreasder with tines that palces seeds in rows. they work well. we aerate then seed and apply a starter fertilizer and topdress with oraganic compost. you can use topsoil or compost althought it is very difficult to spread by hand , it will help, use a 12-24-12 starter fertilizer and DO NOT apply and pre-emergent weed killers such as Scotts with halts for example. A PRE-EMERGENT crabgrass killer does not discriminate , it will kill rye fescues, and any grassy seed weed or not. I think you should be fine to overseed now, but check with a good nursery in your area, we start this week seeding in detroit, fescues are generally a large seed so set your spreader asetting high and figure about 3 lbs per 1,000 sq feet