1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnpro724, Dec 3, 2007.

1. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I know its not the time for overseeding but I was just wandering if there is a set rate, per foot or other that everyone charges. In the past I just go and take a look at the property and estimate how long it will take and how much seed it will need and figure in my hourly rate.
  2. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

I take it your hourly rate is calcuated with over head and profit margin, and not a shot in the dark? then yea, thats a pretty good way to do it. I take it your just broadcasting or ae you slit-seeding?
  3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

It's time for dormant seeding.
  4. lawnpro724

I'm just asking for slit seeding rates and how everyone else does it. We only use broadcast spreaders to spread seed when we work up the whole lawn, grade, seed and roll for good contact. The way I figure slit seeding is by figuring how long it will take to seed the area (hours x labor rate ) and then cost of seed and charge for equipment. I charge $5 an hour for daily equipment mowers, seeders and so on and $3 an hour for small equipment trimmers, blowers, and so on. I just wanted to know if anybody does it different such as by the square foot or do you all do it in the same way I do.
  5. lawnpro724

I didn't mean you couldn't overseed now, just that its getting late.