Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by AllProLC, Feb 20, 2008.

1. AllProLC

AllProLC LawnSite Member

When do most in the Midwest start spring overseeding?
  2. mnturfmaster

mnturfmaster LawnSite Member

we try not to seed in the spring. We try to keep the seeding till the fall. But if we have a client that insists on seeding in the spring, we will usually do it once the soil temperature reaches 55-60 degrees. Roughly middle of may here in minnesota
  3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I just don't understand that. :confused: I'm not doubting mind you it obviously works. I just don't see how having seed lie on the ground exposed to the weather and birds for 6 plus months gives you a higher germination rate or uniform coverage. I would think a fair amount would be eaten or washed into puddles etc. The seed wont germinate until the soil temps are into the high 50's anyway. Clue me in. Do you get it to germinate in the fall then lay dormant for months? Wouldn't the cold kill it? Thank god I don't have to deal with the winter.
  4. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

AZ Gardener, YOu live in a different world. We overseed in the fall early enough to get a couple mowings on the grass before winter. Winter is like your deep freeze in your garage only it is all over outside. I was in AZ last week, loved it. Now back to seeding. When you get it started in the fall you can begin early in the spring with weed control. If you seed early in the spring you have a problem with weed control. But you can get some weed control that will not kill young grass plants But it is expensive. Fall is just best for our world. Spring overseeding is just a lot more work and cost.
    Love AZ and gonna move there someday.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

When it is done in the fall, it hardens off and i much stronger (heat and drought tolerant) than young tender grass that was grown in spring. It CAN be done in spring, and inevitably has to be in many cases, but fall is the most optimum time for seed.
  6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I think there is some confusion here so lets straighten it out a bit. We are talking about overseeding which to me means going over an already existing lawn not bare soil. Overseeding can be done anytime the weather permits that means soil temp is warm enough and that there is adequate moisture. Spring is a very good time for overseeding its purpose is to fill in the sparse areas of the lawn to provide your customer with a lush, thick and healthy lawn. Unless you have a ton of weeds already in your lawn overseeding in the spring isn't going to give you any more. If your going to be putting in a new lawn install then fall is the best time since most weed pollen will be at there lowest point, giving you the best chance for a weed free lawn. September in our area is the best time to seed if you have a choice since the temps are still warm and the fall rains start moving in. In our area we start seeding as early a mid March in some years but around the first of April is more common.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry I wasn't even talking about just overseeding. I don't know WHAT I was thinking, but I was referring to seeding new lawns or areas.:rolleyes:
  8. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I planted my own lawn in the spring/summer of 97. Yes you will fight more weeds doing so vs. Fall but compared to tolerating a weed infested dirt yard all summer I'll take a few extra weeds.

I've spent many hours hand pulling weeds in spring planted grass. I agree Fall planting is ideal.
  9. AllProLC

AllProLC LawnSite Member

Yes, this is overseeding. Thanks for comments , it will probably be Mid-April before I can do this job.
  10. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

The biggest problem for me with spring over seeding is that using a crab grass pre-emergent isn't possible with most of the reasonably priced control products on the market. There is Tupersan, which is more than twice as expensive as most pre-M's and it won't prevent grass seed from germinating, but it also controls fewer summer weeds than products like pendi, Dimension and Barricade. Disturbing the turf with a slit seeder is often what helps trigger a dormant spring/summer weed seed into germinating.

If I were to do a spring slit seeding, I would definitely spring for the extra $ to put Tupersan down though.