Overseeding

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by agm, Feb 13, 2010.

1. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

I know that the best time to overseed a lawn is in the fall, but can it be done in very early spring? I know that the seed competes with crabgrass and other lawn weeds but I have a new customer that wants it done. It's not a big area, probably about 900 sq.ft. of lawn. (I haven't measured it yet, just a rough estimate). I know how to do it, as I have been doing it for a few years, but I have never done it in the spring.

2. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

can anyone help?

3. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

Sure you can do it now and you will have 6 to 8 weeks to get the grass up, then you can use a pre to keep the weeds and crab back. Check out Soil Secrets @ Osuna Nursury, they have a terra pro humus and protein crumblie that will really help with soil pedogenesis.

4. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

thanks alot for the reply!

5. rwsawal04

rwsawal04 LawnSite Member

Don't you have to wait a while before applying preemerge to those young seedling.

6. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

I thought the same thing

7. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Agm, just do what ya know how to do as far as the prep and seeding and just make sure you use a high quality grass seed with no weeds in it. With the right growing, you should be able to get the grass up to strong enough after a few months that you can adress the weeds, if any then. Just keep a strong border on the other turf so none of the existing weeds creep into your new grass.

8. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Ooops, re read and now I think you are meaning overseed an existing area that already has grass and some weeds? How do you plan on getting seed in ground, aerator, slit seeder, ?

9. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

Seed early. Address weeds later.

10. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

Aerating. Lawn looks pretty good other than a small area that needs it. I don't have any pics of it (I wish I did) to show you. But with just aerating, then seeding, will be fine. It's just I have never done overseeding in the spring. Customer really wants it done. And the grass seed, yes I do use a high quality with no weeds.