Overseeding

Discussion in 'Sports Field Management' started by jonthepain, Aug 3, 2010.

1. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Senior Member
    from Raleigh

I'm concerned that no matter what we throw out there, if we put it out this month it will burn up shortly after germination, or if we put it out in Sept., it will be trampled to death shortly after germination.

btw what's your favorite sports turf? we are in the transition zone here, between warm and cool season grass, so it's a tough call for us.

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Gotta do what you gotta do.

Fescue is the most widely used for general sports turf/muni fields around here. Fescue is a great turf ... but may not be as suitable as others depending on what is being played on it.

3. jonthepain

from Raleigh

Thanks for all the input, K. I'll hash it around a bit with the league and let you know what they say.

As always, I appreciate your help.

jon

4. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

I think what kiril is saying will HELP it's not the best answer for renovating but seeing as football season coincides with the best time of year to seed it's your only option right now. Spread some seed out there to help keep it from thinning. Seeding in the spring will get you nearly the same results of fall seeding if you time it correctly and if the football league isnt playing then it's likely your best and only choice.

5. jonthepain

from Raleigh

agreed.

trying to find two new fields for next season, tho. if successful, they can have this one...