Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rvsuper, Aug 19, 2002.

1. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I am going to offer an overseeding service this fall and next spring. I was wondering what kind of equipment to buy/rent and when to start offering it. I bought all my seed already, so no need to discus that. Thanks in advance.
  2. I aerate 1st, then overseed
  3. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I was thinkin the same way.. Thanks
  4. My area fall is best overseed time, spring 2nd, we just avoid hottest part of year.

Won't be doing any seeding this fall-no water
  5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I would suggest renting/buying an overseeder. Bluebird/Ryan/Jacobsen. I have the Jacobsen and it's a very good machine. There is one that CaptDevo is selling in the used market place. It has 150 hours on it and selling for $3100, which is a good price. Excellent machine with excellent results. Much easier to sell overseed jobs when you use the most professional equipment.

6. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

We have the Ryan Mat-o-Way Overseeder (I think this is the name). Good machine, extremely heavy. Has a 10 hp Briggs I/C on it.

We've had good results with it. One thing to watch is that you don't overseed into thatch. Since you set your knives at about 1/4", you need good seed to soil contact and if you're seeding in a heavily thatched area, you won't get the soil contact. The seed may germinate, but will then dry out in the thatch.

We've had good success in shady lawn areas - just becareful of tree roots and changes in grade.

The overseeding is typically sold with a dethatching/verti-cutting first, aeration and then slit seeding. We can get up to $.20 to $.25 to or more per square foot for this combination of work and it takes very little time all things considered. We sell this primarily for areas less than 10,000 square feet generally.
  7. Lohr Equipment & Wel

Lohr Equipment & Wel LawnSite Member

The one thing that I found really helped with overseeding was to cut the grass as short as you can.That prevents alot of interferance from all the grass blades and allows the seed to get to the soil. I also found that raking or dragging perpendicular to your grooves also helps alot .Good luck
  8. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I think you should get an Over seeder like mentioned above. I think it is also good to topdress the lawn with some rich topsoil after overseeding. My neighbor across the street did that and it worked pretty well.
  9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Depends on your budget. Most any rental center will rent an aerator, even Home Cheapo. Aerate and then seed. If you have enought $$ look at the Aera-vator, more productive and does a better job.
  10. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

1.core aerate 3 directions then seed

2. spread 1/2 seed,buy a aeravator ,aeravate 1 direction then spread the rest of the seed and aeravate different direction...