Overseeding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AndrewE, Oct 4, 2003.

1. AndrewE

AndrewE LawnSite Member

I'm new to this so what is the equitment that i will need. Also is it to late for Maryland? And what seed is the best? Thanks

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

It really depends on what the lawn looks like now. You can: aerate and seed, de-thatch and seed, or slit-seed, or harley rake and seed. Depends on what you are trying to accomplish and equipment you have access to.

3. AndrewE

AndrewE LawnSite Member

The Grass is starting to thin out. There in not thach at all. Just want a thick lawn.

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Items needed: Spreader, bag of seeding. Optional: Starter Fertilizer. Put seed in the spreader, spread liberally. When finished, put fertilizer in spreader, spread liberally.

Good luck.

:D

5. JTHutch

JTHutch LawnSite Member

You can't just spread it and leave it you need to get good soil seed contact. So a power rake or Aerator need to be used for the best results. Spreading it will not get as good of a germinaiton as a power rake will.

My overseeding routine is Aerate, broadcast seed, power rake, starter fertilizer, hand customer watering instructions. I get great thick lawns and never had a customer complain about an overseed job.