overseeding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jameslawn, Apr 17, 2004.

1. jameslawn

jameslawn LawnSite Member

I know it is way too early in the season to be talking about seeding, but I am looking to purchase a slicer seeder from either Salsco or a Ryan mataway overseeder. I searching out the information early to make an informed choice and be ready when the season starts.
    Where I live in Missouri many of the older yards (and some new ones) have a lot of rocks. Today, a ryan dealer told me to not bother using one where there is a chance of hitting rocks because the blades won't hold up. I understand that rocks couldn't be good for the blades and I would avoid using it on visible rocky soil, but who knows where the sub-surface rocks are? I can't see how anyone could escape hitting a one now and then. If anyone has used one, how well do the blades hold up. At $5000 I don't want to abuse the machine. Thanks.

2. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd rent one first to see how it works for you.

3. jameslawn

jameslawn LawnSite Member

Renting one would be the best thing to do, but so far I haven't been able to locate one. We live in a rural area and nobody carries it. I'll keep trying to locate one. Maybe I'll get lucky.

4. I'd never heard of rocks being a problem with an overseeder but then I don't know much about them, only what I read on these pages. Not much of a response here, perhaps you might repost your question on the landscaping, renovation board.