Overseeding

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Robert Burnham, Dec 14, 2000.

1. Robert Burnham

Robert Burnham LawnSite Member

I recently purchased a Ryan Mataway overseeder. Has anyone used one of these for planting new lawns or overseeding older or damaged lawns. I am having trouble getting the seed to take root and thicken up. I have been following the seed company and manufacture guidelines for lbs/1000sq'and planting depth. Any advice would be appreciated.. thanks

2. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Some basic info is needed regarding your general location and type of turf you are dealing with. I checked your profile but there wasn't anything helpful there. Let us know where you are.

3. Robert Burnham

I am located in CO near the Denver area. The type of grass seed I have planted and overseeded with has been mostly bluegrass and fescue mix. The time of year I have planted has been from Sept. to mid Oct. and the ground has been under sprinklers. I purchased the machine in Aug. of this year so I have not done any spring planting as of yet. Hope this helps. thanks

4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

For blue grass your seeding time is a little late, try around early August until early September. Seed two ways, applying it at 1/2 rate using 3.5 lbs per 1000 sq. ft. for blue grass, and 5 lbs per 1000 sq. ft. for fescue. Use a good starter type fertlizer 8-32-32 is what we have changed to this year. Lawn should thicken up in about 3 months.

5. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Hey Paul,

You say you changed to 8-32-32. What did you use, and why did you switch? And, what have yo seen for results?

Hey - will I see you at Midam this year?

6. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Stonehedge, we switched from 6-24-24, and have seen our seeding improved.

Sorry about Mid-Am have proir speaking engagement during the same time frame.

7. Robert Burnham

Paul, from your experience with overseeding, what is the proper depth to plant at? My manual for the machine says to plant at about 1/8 to 1/4 inches. The trouble I am having is, as you know the ground is not always even, sometimes the seed is too deep and others times it is on top of the ground. Also, on lawns with a large amount of thatch, do you dethatch them first, I usually run my mowers over them with a dethatcher and vacuum it up before I overseed.

8. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Most of our work is overseeding parks, we use bigger equipment that dethatches as it cuts in for seed.
    1/8 to 1/4" is about perfect, if you are finding that your not getting the seed in to the ground fill in low areas with dirt, or adjust the seeder 1/16" down at a time until you get the depth that you need.

There is no perfect solution until you have looked at the yard and determined what it needs.

9. jkinchla

jkinchla LawnSite Member
    from MA

The Mattaway is a good machine, here in MA I have seen good things with it. However, I seed very heavy and use more ryegrasses in the mix. Also, in thicker lawns where the machine is not penetrating well, I fill up my hydroseeder with water only and blast the surface after overseeding and fertilizing to drive the seed into the soil. I only do this occasionally, but it seems to work quite well.