Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dwost, Oct 22, 2004.

1. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

I was curious if I will get good results putting down seed after aeration? I know sliceseeding is the way to go but thought since I aerated the heck out of my yard I may get some decent results. Will this work or am I just wasting my $$$?

GREENITUP LawnSite Member

You are kidding, right? I don't know much about slice-seeding, but I have established hundreds of lawns by seeding and aerating. We put the seed and some starter fert down before we run the aerator over it- so the seed gets better contact with the soil, but you can seed afterward too. This is my old companies preferred method and it works very well. You aren't waisting your money - just keep the seed moist (like any other time you put it down).Good luck.
  3. dwost

No, I wasn't kidding. That's why I asked. :) Quite frankly I really don't need to do this as the lawn is quite lush, I was thinking I may add some additional KY blue for kicks. Thanks for the input. Here's a shot from a couple weeks back.

4. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

aerating/overseeding is a very good method for introducing a new grass type.

your picture shows a very nice lawn...key for seed germination is seed-to-soil contact. With a dense turf, like in the picture, simply broadcasting seed after aeration will probably not allow for very good seed-to-soil contact. This is a method better suited for thin lawns. However, if you raked the lawn following the aeration-seeding that would have helped the seed get better contact with the soil. Otherwise the seed probably just clinged to the existing turf and did not get very good contact with the soil.
  5. dwost

Thanks for the feedback. I still have not decided if I'm going to do this or not. I do agree that raking would lead to better results. My concern as well was the soil contact with a dense turf. Would dragging it with some chain link fencing work? I may just pick up a section and borrow my neighbors tractor. Thanks again.
  6. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

It may be a little late in the year now especially if the seed germinates and gets slapped with a frost or two...just something to consider...
  7. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

dwost, I would not aerate and overseed now, as its getting to late for the new seedling to establish before cold weather, frost will kill it off. Here in Ohio I've always used the rule of thumb to either overseed before 10/15 or wait until early December and do it as a dormant seeding which will germinate in early spring. Dormant seeding usually works better with higher percentages of bluegrass rather than Perrenial Ryegrass. Good Luck!
  8. dwost

I looked into this further and I agree that I missed the window. I'll wait till the spring and try it out when i do my first aeration of the season. I decided to just go the fert route so I just picked up a few bags of Lesco 34-3-11 20%PPSCU PLASTIC and will be applying in Nov.