overtime after 48hrs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnchopper, Jul 31, 2005.

1. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

does anyone here pay there crew OT after 40??? I dont get ot until after 48 cause of some stipulation that says that the lawn business is agricultural and therefore dont have to pay til after 48 Thats working another day of straightime..........arrrgghhhhh

2. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew LawnSite Member

Firefighters don't get overtime till they exceed 53 hours unless your contract addresses it differently.

Anyway, I'm solo so I don't get overtime on lawn care no mater what. (don't have anyone to pay it to yet either though)

Mike

3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

someone is pulling your finger .... that's fore like farm work ... pulling beans n such

OT over 40 hours ==> Yes

This is what I found ...."any labor demand directly related to production tasks that vary with the season, emerging needs of crops or livestock, or that could not be spread across weeks due to the nature of the work (planting, harvest, breeding) is exempt."

Soooo your gonna have to be havesting those grass clippings

4. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Check your labor laws for the answer.

5. CAL-LANDSCAPER

CAL-LANDSCAPER LawnSite Member

OT after 40 hrs / week
    AND
    OT after 8 hrs / day
    check you local labor regs

6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

OT in our trade is just a really bad law that we have to comply with I do not agree with it at all. Typically by the time my guys hit 50 hours they have slowed down and are not working as quickly yet instead of paying them less we now have to pay them more. Needless to say most of my 11 dollar an hour guys hit $800 a week thanks to OT

7. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Then you're doing something wrong. You either have too much work for your staff (eg. hire more staff), your expectations of their capabilities are too high, you have too much windshield time, possibly maint crew size too big (3 men can't get done 1.5 more work than 2 guys). Anyway, something is amiss. Sounds like you have to fix your management.

8. No Lawncares

No Lawncares LawnSite Member

Wow u guys complain about paying overtime, but if it was you working over 40 you be there with your hand out asking for that overtime. Some of you on here complain about everything, pitas, overtime, employees, are some of you EVER HAPPY.

9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

The LCOs who employ Amigos stand a very good chance of losing them if they don't work them at least 50 hours a week.. They claim they can work for 5 years in the USA and retire in their home countries. The Amigos wear long sleeves,usually with a tee shirt underneath and long pants just like they dress in the tropics.

The most successful LCOs/Landscapers I deal with have Amigos.

Oldtimer

10. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Nay none of the above we keep the crews very lean here 1 partner 1 worker I work them 5 days a week so 5 x 12 and you get around 60 hours a week on my 2 main guys. Then I work weekends with a few part timers all told we bring in 6-8k a week and pay less then 2 k in payroll. I personally like to see my equipment and trucks working to me working a short 40 hour week and having my stuff sitting making me nothing for 128 hours a week is costing me way to much far better to earn while you can. Old saying when I worked in the machine tool trade if the shop isn't working over time they are losing money and going out of business.