Overtime - need to start another crew

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Gene $immons, May 28, 2005.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Currently, I am running two mowing crews. One is a four man crew, the other is a two or three man crew depending on the day.

Last week, we had a tremendous amount of overtime.

What I am wanting to do, is start a new crew which will be able to respond to the one timer jobs, and to take care of some of the lawns that are "out of the way" lawns for my other crews. I am trying to have all of the work done by crews 1 and 2 completed in under 45 hours a week. The new crew would mow part-time, and landscape the rest of the time and I would be able to control the hours with them better.

The problem, Crews 1 and 2 LIKE working overtime...and I have a feeling that they won't like lawns being taken off of their schedule. I told my foremen that I must cut back on the overtime somehow. This is the best way I can think of. Any input?

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

My opinion you may not like, but you want to cut out the only thing that makes this job good for them, and your other thread???? Well, you could be starting another one in the future labeled "where to find good employee", and the awnser is you had them, but lost them.
  3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

This is why I pay my foreman a salary ... he's the only one .... n he like's to keep the hours right at or even better under 40 .... this time last year the guys were getting 43-46 hours .... last week they got 37 .... I have small side jobs I throw to those whom want more hours .... that they can do on weekends without heavy equipment ...(weeding & mulch .... lite trim jobs) .... I sub em out .... I don't tell em when to do it or how and they don't use my equip .... so it's a legit sub contract