Overtime - time and a half- Do you???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, May 2, 2004.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Just curious to see how many other LCO's around the country pay time and a half for hours worked over 40 in a week.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

In VA you have to work at least 48 hours to get overtime, and you only have to pay overtime if gross sales exceed $1M.

3. Columbia Turf

Columbia Turf LawnSite Member

Thats not fair. Are the rules that much different in different places?? In Missouri we pay anything over 40 hours per week.

4. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

5. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

good luck keeping good employees around if you don't pay at least time and a half for overtime.

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

When I had employees, it's been a while now, it was understood that windshield time was swapped out with time and a half. If anyone had a problem with it, I would tell them that fine, I'll pay my crew leader time and a half to drive there, and the rest will be paid for the amount actually worked. That would turn out to be about 15 minutes worth of work, then a 15 minute unpaid break. 15 minutes worth of work, then a 15 minute unpaid break.

After they thought about that, they figured they would just get paid the regular pay. Plus there weren't TOO many weeks where we went over 40, I'd just hussle myself after 40.

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

When you had employees? Too many problems?

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I dont like the scrub word, but if you dont pay overtime, i think your one.

9. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

The company i work for now doesn't pay over time but its a very relaxed company where we sit around half the day and bs with the owner so it kinda works out ok. But its true, you don't pay overtime and you get crap help, we get almost 10 different guys in a year.

10. SLC1234

SLC1234 LawnSite Member

In Connecticut, it is mandatory that anything over 40 hours is
    time and a half. Unless it is managment. We pay over time and would not take the risk of not paying it. All it takes is one former disgruntled employee to go to the labor board and then you are in for some trouble, they will want to see everything and you will most likely have to pay fines. I know of a couple landscapers that it has happened too because they fired someone and the guys were pissed off and went to the state. Thats all it takes to start an investigation. It is better to do everything the right way from the start and that you will not have anything to worry about. Just My two cents.

www.schmidtlawncare.com