1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Overwhelmed Help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GillamLawn, Mar 31, 2004.

1. GillamLawn

GillamLawn LawnSite Member

Last week I sent out about 40 letters to companies, and now I am getting calls everyday to go give a bid on the properties. All the places want lawn care and shrub bids, all are apartment and condo complexes, I have no experience bidding bigger broken up places like those, and have never been asked to bid on shrubs. I am just overwhelmed and I don't want to lose these places due to improper bidding, i need some help, so could anyone please give me some great pointers? or ideas, i would be truely greatful. thanks
  2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

For the mowing part, I would break them up into smaller sections and combine the total of all areas for the bid.

The shrubs might be a little tougher, you might want to do an hourly price for the shrub trimming.
    In all this will be a real learning experience for you.
    Good Luck!!!!
  3. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

no offense man, but why would you send letters to places that you don't even know how to bid on? I don't get it. If you are this unprepared I am scared for you. I do hope for the best for you and good luck, but how do you start a business without knowing the first thing about it? Educate yourself first about the business and all of the practices and methods related to landscaping, Then send out the letters. Like I said, no offense meant at all, but it makes me wonder...
  4. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking to get into condo and apartemnt work too, do you think I could see the letter you sent to them because I am having no luck getting any commercials due to lowballers.
  5. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with lawnguyland. Sounds like you got in over your head. I would not solicit a job that I did not know how to bid. If you are having problems bidding it you will have even bigger problems servicing the ones you happen to get. JMO.
  6. GillamLawn

GillamLawn LawnSite Member

Well to tell you why i sent the letters out is because i work about 58 to 68 hours a week at my current job, i work in a factory making honda car parts, so i don't have time to go around and pick and choose all the properties that i think i want to do, another thing is i ain't completely blind about the lawncare business i worked for a lawn care company for 3 years, and have been doing it on my own for about 3 years as a part time job to make extra money, mostly smaller businesses and residentials, and they have been a single meduim sized square yard, these apartment complexes that have caled me have about 20 - 25 seperate buildings with all kinds of nooks and crannies, i have mowed properties similar in the past, but have never had the oppertunity to bid on any. I am tired of working in a friggin factory and want to get into this business full time, so whatever oppertunity i get to bid on a property i want to do it the right way, anyways i'm tired of reading peoples questions on this site only to read peoples responses like yours bashing our questions, isn't that one reason this site is here for? to ask questions? I THINK SO, , anyways i want to thank the people who are generous enough to lend a helping hand to those who may need it
  7. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

:cry: Another satisfied lawnsite customer. LOL

How many posts do you have and you're already asking us to do your homework? Please! Do you know how to price residentials? Why not start there and work your way up to commercial? You haven't even tested the water before you dove in head first and now you've found that submerged stump. I'll guarantee the answer is here somewhere....you just need to find it.
  8. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Gillam.. Nobody here bashed you. In fact.. he said "no offense" twice in his post but you did anyway. Maybe it's not what you were looking for but it's the truth.

Anyway.. there is a lot of info here and you may find what you need if you do a little searching.

Figure your cost of running a business, add your profit and figure your houly rate. Look at the job site and figure how many hours it will take and charge accordingly.

Good luck.
  9. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

lawn-scapes is right.....relax and get the accounts you can and if it gets to be too much draw the line!
  10. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

apartments and condos are the "whores" of the industry,,,,,thats why they are calling you!