overwhelmed....need advice on ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by moloss, Apr 12, 2007.

1. moloss

moloss LawnSite Member

I'm overwhelmed with the avalabile choices in ZTR's.....I've recently purchased 50 acres and my husqvarna garden tractor is no longer large enough for my grass cutting needs......I'm looking to cut about 5 acres at the house and along fence lines (I already have a large tractor with a finish mower for the real big stuff) but there are at least 20-30 trees near the house (hence the need for the ZTR).....I've decided to get a commerial grade mower but I'm at a loss for a decision.....from my research it seems that hustler, exmark, ferris, bad boy and bush hog are good mowers......with that said what about suspension? should my local dealer be the deciding factor? if you had a budget of about 7K what would you buy and why? I'm not trying to open a can of worms here, I've done many searches on the site but I would like to hear from y'all (profesionals) about your personal experiences.....thanks Chris
  2. fazzy815-66

fazzy815-66 LawnSite Senior Member

Boy those are all great mowers! I have a hustler super z and its been a very good machine.. I have also looked at bad boy and own an exmark 36' walkbehind (incredible machine) If I were you I would look into the hustler or the bad boy (there prices are excellent and right up front) Dealer should always be a consideration
    Just my 2 cents (I have no opinion on the others mentioned)
  3. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Id get a Cub Cadet Tank 60" or 72" because they are well built machines
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

your right!!!

all of those are good mowers. if your comfortable with "and ON" any of those then it's up to price and availablity, dont get one that you cant get parts for.
    or having a dealer thats 50 miles away.

Good luck
  5. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

For your needs any of the above mentioned mowers are good what I would look for is price and dealers that are close. you would not want to travel a long distance just to get it fixed
  6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Now Y didn't I think of that ?:confused:
  7. Stinchcomb Lawn

Stinchcomb Lawn LawnSite Member

I really think your shuold think about the John Deere 737 or 757
  8. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Why do people feel the need to push him onto machines that he didnt list? Any of the machines he listed are good choice so why say JD and Cub that he didnt mention?

Just demo each machine and get what ever cuts best, feels best, best deal and favorite dealer. Which dealer is most happy to help you? Be sure to compare, comparable machines. Same deck size and HP!
  9. moloss

moloss LawnSite Member

thanks for all the fast replies.....as far as the JD goes I don't have a problem with green paint (I have a JD gator HPX for chores) I just thought it would be out of my price range......anybody with a good or bad expierence with a ZTR, is still knowledge that I can learn from.....thanks
  10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not crazy about the Hustler cut in Northern Grasses but for your area and since price is a consideration a Hutler Z or Super Z may fit the bill. I paid a little less than $8,000 for a 27hp/60" Super Z. Take a test run before you buy. Sheffield Credit has homeowner loans up to 5 years with no payments for 6 mo and there are other good financing deals to be had with Sheffield or GE Credit. Don't let a thousand dollars or so keep you from getting what you want. Of course I love my Exmark but it may be a little more expensive. Both handle well. The Hustler Z really handles well but make sure it cuts the type grass in your area. Best of luck, don't see how you could go wrong with most of those. Get a Suspension seat for sure.