Overwhelmed with learning new landscape design software

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Doster's L & L, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

Just checking with y'all to see if you were blown away when you first started learning how to design a landscape on the computer. I have done a dozen landscape installs over the past few years and they were always designed on a piece of paper. I want to install landscapes (flagstone sidewalks/patios, wet or dry, water features) full time this year, so i know i have to show more professionalism by having a better design image. Right now, I have the Total 3-D Landscaping software and trying to learn it is a complete aggrivation.

Is there better software out there than this?

2. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

there have been many threads on this lately. Try searching for 'pro landscape' & you should find quite a few opinions. from what i am told, Dynascape is the best on the market but you will pay much more for it.

Personally, i am thrilled with pro landscape. I was able to be productive in a short time thanks to their video tutorials. I am planning on taking a training course soon so that i can get even more out of the program.

you can read more about it here http://www.drafix.com/index.htm

here are some links to other programs. research thoroughly before buying anything.

http://www.visualimpactimaging.com/
    http://www.dynascape.com/design/default.asp
    http://www.lsisoft.com/product.html

as you now know, the off the shelf type programs that you will find at computer stores are limited in their features & fall short of delivering 'professional' results.

Glenn

3. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

I tried "Total 3D Landscaping", Punch's product, and Pro Landscape and none of them were easy to use. Pro Landscape was by far the most powerful, but it was so buggy that I finally requested a refund after about 40 days(they allow a refund up to 60 days). I finally gave up on getting a software package that I like. I looked at the free demo on the Dynascape product, but when I went to request it they asked me for $20 so I gave up. I've got 20 bucks I can spare, but I am not going to spend $2500 on a product from a company that misrepresents itself by calling something free that is not free. $20 to demo a $2500 product is a fair offer, they don't need to mislead people into believing it is free in order to follow the link. If they were to just say "extremely cheap demo", that would be far more effective. To me, that's just not how I want to start a relationship; by being misled.

Good luck searching!

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yea, mine kept flying off the page! Drove me insane! They are all difficult to use, but with practice and patience are a challenge that can be met.
    To me? I like to simply do a design the old fashioned way on paper. Then draw on the actual pictures I of the site, using Canvas or Paint as well. Design software is useful and a great tool. But I have not found that using it gets me any more work than not.

5. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Master Landscaping Pro version 10 is a good program and is cheap takes a little bit to get used to but once you do its good program for $65 bucks. I picked mine up on sale for $39.99 and I love it

6. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

Can you post some samples of designs you were able to create with it.

7. lawn guy1350

lawn guy1350 LawnSite Member

yeh id like to see it. for 40 bucks thats a deal if its good. and where do u get it?

8. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all of your responses. I too would like to see some images of the Master Landscape Pro v10. I found it on ebay for different prices around the $15 range. Thanks Allure, for links to other top-of-the-line landscape software. I had no idea that high end software costs as much as those do. I can see spending $500 for good software, but I may just have to grow into the level of design software you mentioned.

Here I go back to the drawing board....

9. lucky4511

lucky4511 LawnSite Member

I have been playing with a new software I just recently received called Realtime Landscaping PRO from IdeaSpectrum. It was @$60.00, you can import photographs, they also have a walkthrough feature where you can see your design with birds, butterflies - and it shows water features with moving water, it seems ok. They are getting ready to add quite a few new plant materials and also upgrading soon with, I believe he said 3000 new plants. It is fairly easy to use, I think I am going to like it. www.ideaspectrum.com

10. MrH117

MrH117 LawnSite Member

Takes time...I've had 4 semesters of design courses using ProLandscape and use this also in my business....I am proficient but by no means a master. I wouldn't classify my instructors as masters either. In every class, people were always discovering new tricks and shortcuts that the instructors didn't know about. Pro is great but it has its drawbacks...I've heard great things about Dynascape but it is pricey. For small jobs....I don't even use the computer. I find it faster to draw...this also takes practice to become proficient. Developing good techniques with hand drawing or by computer will help you sell jobs. If you get Pro...learn to use the Image Editor...it is a great selling tool. When a customer sees a digital image of their completed landscape...it is usually a sell. Like trout fishing with a shot gun.