1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Overworked Friday

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Charles, Sep 2, 2001.

1. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I was trying to do catch up friday and not work saturday. Thursday it had rained some so alot was piled on friday as sometimes happens. I was speeding along and set a record on income from just cutting grass in one day in a short period of time. Also drug a large tree limb along way and trimmed a hedge and it was hot and humid. But everything was clicking and going smoothly except for the friday traffic. I say everytime after a day like that that I will never get to speeding where I can feel the calories burning up. No lunch break. Just one more yard...
    Then a semi regular customer(a church) calls and wants their yard done before sunday for a event they are having. So I said after thinking that it would cost alot extra thinking they would say no LOL and they said yes so I had to cut in the rain and exausted saturday.
    Needless to say my Girlfriend said something that hit a nerve (saturday afternoon) Believe me in my state of mind it didnt take much to set me off. I had kinda warned her that I was exausted and very irritable. So the whole nite went to hell and I laid down at 8 pm and never got up until the next morning.
    Lesson learned:
    When your body say stop you stop. When it says slow down you slow down. MOney and just one more yard aint worth killing yourself over and ruining relationships over(not that this one is ruined yet after I do alot of azz kissing LOL
  2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Im no male chauvinist by any means. However, if a woman cannot empathize with our state of body/mind then they should not judge.

I have yet to figure it out why people who are not exhausted cannot just give those who are the space they need when they need it. I am just as guilty of this as she is.

Sometimes you just need to throw your hands up in the air and either settle it behind closed doors the next day, or drag yourselves out to spend the day together to rekindle.

With two little ones its usually taking the girls to the park after we have a major blowout and discuss things over a picnic lunch.

God I hate smoozing when shes wrong. -LOL!!!

4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I think the mistake is when we tell them we're worn out and want to be left alone.

It seems once I tell my wife that I'm stressed to the max, and I need some space, thats when she seems to come around and bother me the most!

I'm going to start being so cheerful when I come home beat up that I scare her off! ;)

Good Luck Charles!
  5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I agree with both of you. This is what triggered the blow up. We had gotten takeout at an expensive restaurant and I am trying to enjoy my meal and relax and NOT think about money. She get through with her meal and get up to leave. And then she says "oh by the way I want you to start paying for half my birth control pills" Its not a big amount but that not the point of my anger. I just almost killed myself working this week to bring in more money so I wont have to borrow money this winter for a change LOL and this woman is giving me another payment to make. Talk about bad timing to bring that up. And during my nice dinner too. Like I said above I had over did it as we all do sometimes and was not in my right mind and you are right I just needed some space for that day.
    I just called her and she say "so you decided it right to pay me half" I told her what I told yall and she says "well you just taking out your hard work on me?" "You should tell me when you are having one of those mood swings"
    We broke up 5 times last nite lol.
    But things are cool now and I still lost I think.
    In our biz we need to put limits on the amount of work we do because no one else will.
    But ya know you do what you have to and I guess I will do it again. I just need to stop buying equipment for awhile .....
  6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

In this line of work summer is the make it while you can time, if she doesn't understand that, what are you supposed to do. Unless you have it given to you, the only way to get ahead in life is plain old bust your a$$! I'm sure things will work out, there are just going to be days like this.
  7. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with all the above with needing the space when exausted, but week after week....month after month....it must get old hearing the same excuse.
    You can't make the excuse 10 out of 12 months of the year.

I have a habbit of getting too focused when there is alot of work and get tunnel vision. I don't see anything else that's going on around me--and I have to remember that my significant other may have probelms just a large but out of my sight.
    Like Charles said, " just one more yard aint worth killing yourself over and ruining relationships over".

Besides, I think it takes more energy trying to make up for not being there than it does to be there in the first place ! :D

8. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

:D Sounds like a bunch of henpecked guys to me. Heck if she don't like it show her were the DOOR is and explain to her how to use it. :blob1:
  9. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Henpecked Hell!!!! Im as whipped as they come - LOL!!!!! :laugh:

I think that it all comes down to compromise. We must learn to listen, think, and accept what our significant others/wives have to say and do and as vice versa.

I enjoy the relationship that I have with Cinnamon, and I enjoy the parenting endeavors that we cross together. Many of the guys have called me whipped etc. and thats fine by me. The truth of the matter is: Im happy and shes happy.

Together we compliment each others personalities and traits, and I wish that more people could be as fortunate as we are to have found a best friend who they can share their life with intimately and personally.
  10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Piss her off a little, I think we all know about "make-up sex"! LOL:D