1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Own, Rent, Live with Mom and Dad

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by rusty_keg_3, Jul 26, 2009.

Where do you live?

1. Own Your House

2. Rent

3. With The Parents

1. Disgruntled_Veteran

Disgruntled_Veteran LawnSite Member

I am renting a 3 bedroom house for now..

I do not want to buy a house because I want to live in Austin , Fort Worth is cool but I somewhere by lake Travis is what I want.. Honestly I would like to build my house over buying a new or previously owned house. Of course I would also like to win the lottery but hey who doesnt .. LOL
  2. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea, i think we all do... :laugh::laugh::laugh:
  3. rusty_keg_3

Ok, 37 people here? Or do the rest of you live in boxes?

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i am in a van down by the river
    but i own the van:weightlifter:
  5. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

You're looking at at least 900-1100 here
  6. rusty_keg_3

Well, you own it, so i would say own... :laugh::laugh:
  7. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

21 and one more year of college, so I'm still with mom and dad. Man, houses are expensive, not just to buy, but everything about them. Utility bills, upkeep, furniture and all that stuff. I'm with the guy who doesn't want to rent. It's like a never-ending mortgage, and you still don't own anything.

Whenever I do move out, I'll still keep my stuff at my parents' house since we've got a 3 bay shop, with one bay dedicated to my stuff. It works out nice. I can back the trailer in with everything loaded on it and unhook. Eventually, I'd like to have a shop/office, but I would need a couple crews out working to justify that.
  8. mowzilla

mowzilla LawnSite Member

well, if my mom and day were alive, i'd live with them... cheaper, more $$$$ for equipment and advertising..

i am 37 and married, so i have a nice truck, a 22 year old walkbehind, a homeowner z, and new shinny, a 12 yr old muryama edger, and a 10 year old redmax, work two jobs, a small trailer.............

so i guess in time and God willing, i'll grow enough to be working for myself full time.. and get newer/better gear, a dovetail isuzu, good laborers, etc..

'course, up untill may 2008 i worked as a marine technician, made ok money, and got into this full time in june of 2008..

all is good :cool2:

but if you are living at home, and since i didn't do this, here is my advice:

don't got blow all your cash on new gear, my stuff does the job, so get what you need within reason( you dont need a 60 inch lazer to do small residences :) ) , get your accounts, strive to have 25% to pay expenses, 25% to live one 25% to save for expansion, future, etc.. the more you put back the better..

if i had done this, i'd be set right now.. but i chose to spend on toys, boats, etc.. and it was a bad choice..

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i will continue to live at home untill i finish school
  10. diamondedgeoutdoor

diamondedgeoutdoor LawnSite Member

Hey i lived in a cardboard box, it was pretty cool, i used duct tape to waterproof it.......when i was 6

im 20 and still live with mom and pop but they dont mind (cuz they never have to mow the yard) its not too bad, no rent, utilities, insurance, prop taxes, etc. and all my buisness is within 5 miles of home, so it just makes sense
    and since we live in the county, the price of houses and prop taxes is through the roof so when i move out it will be a litle further of a drive to work everyday