Own Yard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnbiz Jeff, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Lawnbiz Jeff

Lawnbiz Jeff LawnSite Member

I know that the last thing any of you guys want to do after mowing all week is to mow your own yards. It seems like from many threads it is a badge of honor for some of you to have the worst yard in the neighborhood. I don't have the energy to do my own 2 acre yard as well as I do my customers, but I do it every week - even if I don't string trim everything very often. My neighbors mow much more often, but I do get mine weekly. My question to you guys that don't keep up with your own yard is how much business does it cost you in your own neighborhood to not keep your own yard up? I feel that I have to keep my yard at least presentable since my neighbors know that I am an LCO. In fact there are other LCO's ( 1 school age kid and 1 guy with a lawn tractor and new ztr) starting to enter my neighborhood.

2. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

your still new at it.you will get over it after about 10 years.unless you have kids to do it .my 3 donkeys mow my 2 1/2acres.

3. I have not trouble keeping up with my own lawn, but come to find out, one of my customers has his own lawn service. I recently ran into him at the local gas station. I think it is kind of funny.

4. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

My neighbor cut my lawn,it was nice coming home like everyone else and the lawn was cut.:cool2:

5. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

The blacksmith's horses are always barefoot.

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

My employees do mine,

7. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

The shoe makers kids never have shoes.

8. evergreenedmond

evergreenedmond LawnSite Senior Member

i have the best lawn in my neighborhood, I live in a high traffic area & it has helped pick up a lot of business for me. I live pretty close to a high end steak house & bar & all of the people see my house after eating a $150.00 steak.

9. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

I take good care of my own yard, it has helped me get business and I maintained it nicely before I started mowing.

10. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

I've considered shopping out my yard to another LCO, or seeing if he will trade me an account for my own yard. My yard looks terrible, 1 acre of mess... when all my neigbors love their own lawns and mow 3 times a week. I'm not interested in business in my neigborhood, however.

At least I got out the string trimmer twice this year. Last year I only trimmed one time.

Mowing my own lawn is the last thing I want to do when the day is done.