1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Owner wants 'renter' to pay the mowing (me)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowisme, Jul 17, 2008.

1. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

I have a rental property That I am going to be mowing..It is owned by the same person who has a buisness location I mow. Her lease has that renters (Primary) renter to mow lot. It is a University 3-level home. The renter told her to have me mow it and she'd pay me. The owner doesn't want to add mowing to rent..Just have renter pay direct. Renter is working on a regular basis so should be ok..But I just have a feeling it is going to be a hassle getting paid..or paid in reasonable time. I should add this is a bi-weekly account. I am thinking the first time I don't get $ before next mow..I don't show. This gives her 2 weeks after each mow to get it to me. This sound ok? OR tell her (if it gets to be problem) I will mow day of or day after recieving payment..so I'm paid in advance. Geno
  2. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I would say don't skip, because then you'll be missing out on the money. Worst case, have them pre-pay for the month, just like their rent.
  3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

have them prepay!!!
  4. bowhunter74

bowhunter74 LawnSite Member
    from mo

I have renters leave a check taped to the door the day I will be there. NO CHECK NO MOW!
  5. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

man i hate those type of accounts! i have one now that this guy owns the house, came here to florida during winter and went back north for summer. anyways, all of a sudden these new people are moving into the house and i said to myself, wtf? so i called the guy up north and he said they are renting the place. talked to the renters and they will start paying, i said o.k., had them sign an agreement, renter guy said when he gets the bill, he always pays within 3 days. well he's past due on his first months payment. here we go again.
  6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Every rental house I've mowed has the renter paying the bill. The standard in these parts is the renter is responsible for the landscape maintenance, which includes grass cutting. In some cases, they trim the bushes themselves. However, in most cases, they aren't there long enough to pass through multiple seasons.

Of course, the major problem is knowing when they are leaving the rental house. They leave, and without a forwarding address, it may be hard to track them down for last payment.
  7. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

Talked to renter today..She agreed to pay in advance at the beginning of Month for that Month's total mowing. Sounds like a good way to go..I"ll show up after I get that Months payment. If I get Payment say on 6th or 8th..That is when I do first Mow for that Month. Geno
  8. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Have the owner sign an agreement that gives you permission to mow, the renter to pay, and if renter defaults then the owner is responsible. I saw this once on a utility contract and thought it was a good idea. Ive been stiffed by renters when they moved before so now I deal with the owners.