Owners of Any kinds of trucks with the GM 6.0 liter V-8 engine

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Rons Rightway Lawncare, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I am wondering what you drive, how you use it, and what kind of MPG you get with it. Also I am curious if MPG improved for you after a certain amount of miles driven on the truck.

I am kinda sad at what I think my new Isuzu Cabover is getting so far. I filled it up right after I bought it, drove it around for 2 days ( around 65 miles ) and filled it back up... did the math, miles driven by gallons needed to refill and saw 9.5 MPG. I was thinking 65 miles might not have been enough driving to get a clear idea of fuel burn, so I drove it a few more days and tonight with 110 miles on the trip odometer I filled up again and it averaged out to 8.5 MPG That sucks! I was getting at least 12.5 MPG pulling my trailer with my Silverado with 4.8 liter V-8 and that would be flogging it, drive it gentle and I could get 13.5 MPG no problem.

Lastly, has anyone used a aftermarket computer upgrade or chip with their 6.0 liter trucks and seen a worthwhile gain in fuel milage? I am not in need of more power, just better MPG!!!

thanks in advance

2. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Ron, I think you would have been netter off with the diesel. I understand your thoughts on why you got the Gasser, but with the kind of front end drag you have with that flet nose truck, plus the tool rack and ramps, I m really not surprised you are not getting great milage.

I just bought a Chevy truck with a 6.0. I have the 3.73 rear so I expect to get decent milage out of it, like you were with your pickup-trailer combo. After I have driven a bit, I will update you on my milage. But I think yours is more to do with lack of aerodynamic body style than with motor.

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

with the set up you bought about 8.5-9.0 is all you can expect......until it gets some miles on it and then it will be around 7.5

4. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Ron, another member on here got one of those GMC trucka few year ago, but got the diesel. He claims he was getting 13 (I think). Here is his thread with pics of his truck.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=109885

hope your gets a little better. I can imagine your disappointment for hte low milage.

5. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

8-10mpg tops. 4:10 gears.

6. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

4 cyl diesel. Turtle slow and expensive fuel.

Never more than 10.5 MPG city or highway.

The penalty on a landscape cabover is the parachute. That's right, the parachute you pull everywhere you go. The tailgate, my friend. So your highway mileage is always bad compared to a pickup truck.

If you had a 4.8 in your Isuzu, that would eat gas too.

Conversely, if you had a 6.0 in a pickup highway MPG would not be bad. It's the vehicle not the engine.

7. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

10 mpg is about what you can expect. I get just a shade less then that with my 2500HD pulling a 6x12 enclosed. This setup is probably around the same weight and aerodynamic drag as your truck. All in all I'm happy with the truck. It has plenty of power for my needs, and it gets better mpg than my old '84 Chevy. It's not a Duramax, but the same truck with that motor was fully $10,000 more. $10K will buy a whole lot of gas.

8. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep the reports coming fellows! I am curious as to what people are getting.

As for aero drag, I agree... Expanded metal is worse than a solid sheet of steel drag wise. Ask anyone who designs aircraft about it! That tailgate is a parachute!!! But my driving around has been all stop and go in town miles and the average speed may be around 30 mph tops. My old Avalanche had a milage computer that would show your average speed and it surprised me that over the course of a week on my route, my average speed was in the mid 20 mph range each week.

I had anticipated 10 mpg with this truck. I had friends that ran Chevy trucks and vans in their tropical plant resale business and they both swore their trucks got 10mpg no matter how easy or hard they drove them, or if they pulled a trailer or not. So I figured 10mpg should be what I would get in this truck. My friends sold their Chevys and bought Dodge Sprinter vans and swore they always got at the very least 20 mpg. I had considered buying a Sprinter cab and chassis and having a landscape bed put on one, but wasn't sure if the fuel economy would be worth the extra money - a truck like that would be 33-35 grand with the body... I paid 27.5 for mine

9. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You bought a much better truck.

Mercedes are trouble. I know, my personal car is a 2005 E320 CDI (diesel).

Lots of computer glitches, sensor trouble. All warranty but still a hassle.

With the sprinter, you only get a 2.7L 5-cylinder motor. That is the non-US E270 CDI car engine. And the transmission is car-sized too.

Those vans are fuel efficient, but they are better suited to florists, etc.

I know an ambulance place where they recently bought a Sprinter ambulance. Nothing but trouble, oil leaks, computer trouble, dead battery, etc etc etc. Stay away.

10. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

me: 2002 Chevy 2500HD ext cab long bed, 4x4, 4.10 gears adn 6.0L

pulling my 10,000 GW dump trailer empty or full I get 8-9mpg.........without the trailer i get 11-12mpg

sorry, its not going ot get much better.....DO NOT buy a chip, get a custom tune adn you might get 1mpg but thats it