Owners of Scag Wildcat, what did you pay? Satisfied?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rons Rightway Lawncare, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious as I may go get one tomorrow.... Feedback wanted! Thanks

2. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I think I paid about 8K and change with a vac system.
    52" 25HP Kaw

I like it. Takes a little getting used to. I also have a 23HP (Kaw) Exmark which seems to have a little more power.

3. Cooter

Cooter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

I demoed a Wildcat with a 30 hp 61" velocity deck. It was a very nice machine. Plenty of power and it did real well dispersing the clippings. The only thing funky was the levers were very stiff to pull into reverse. The dealer was asking $8000 for that demo unit with 75 hrs.

4. stoneseller

stoneseller LawnSite Member
    from MD Z7

I bought one in June of 2005.
    I think it is exceptional. I mow my partially wooded 3 acres in about an hour. I have lots of inclines, some very bumpy flat areas, some very level smooth areas. I can really haul ass over the smooth areas. I slow down on the hills & rough areas, and it handles them very well. The seat fits my 6'4 270 lbs torso very comfortably.
    IIRC I paid just under $8K out the door with sales tax & delivery

5. Rons Rightway Lawncare

My Tiger Cub had the same thing. I used to tell me friends and customers that I didn't need to visit the gym because working the mowers controls was a major workout on it's own.

At some point around 600 hours on the machine I took the time to look and see why it was so stiff in reverse. There was little springs mounted in the control system that when you pulled the levers back past neutral, the control levers pushed the springs in. This was apparently to make sure if your going backwards and let go of the controls, the mower will go to neutral and stop rolling.

Anyhow, these springs were held in with only two bolts and it took just a minute to yank them out. Made the mower much easier to use!!!!

6. Rons Rightway Lawncare

My dealer sells Scag, Great Dane and Husky mowers. I was seriously considering a new husky, but after reading so many negative posts on the two lawn care fourms on the web, and both my dealer and another friend who is also a dealer on the other side of town.... both said the husky is okay, but that I might be happier with something else. I was still really considering the husky - he has a large frame ztr husky demo with 30 hp Kohler and 61 inch deck and I am the only one to demo it, roughly 5 hours run time - which I was given the price of 7499$ on it. My dealer said as a alternative he would sell me a new Wildcat with 27 Kohler 61 inch deck at the same price.

I am just wanting to see if this is a good deal, as he said this mower lists for somewhere in the low 9 grand range and I was under the impression that I was getting the mower for 500-1000$ less than what he sells them to others for.

7. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

8. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

The Wild cat with a 27hp 61" deck is $8900 around here.

9. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

try using some lube on it, the springs are there for a reason!!!! my scag did the same thing, only because the factory does not lube those parts, once you greese them up. youll be fine.. mine loosened up in a matter of minutes, on my tiger cub and my wildcat

10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

If ya can get that wildcat for that..........better jump on it. I have a qoute for $8250.00 and it took alot to get it to that price 8600-9000 for that mower most of the time here

wayne