Owning multiple companies

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by promower, Mar 25, 2005.

1. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure what forum to put this in but its not very lawn care oriented. Anyways I was thinking about starting a new venture within the next few years and wanted to get some opinions, especially from people who currently do more then lawn/landscape. My plan was possibly getting into setting up temporary tents for festivals, parties, reunions etc... I dont want my current business to suffer from starting a new one, and since this new company would be mostly seasonal like lawn care the summers could get really busy which they already are. But I was thinking with some good employees and management I could budget my time between the two companies and if the tent thing went well, I could basically have management run 75% of it. Being in the lawn/landscape field currently I have a lot of contacts that could help get me started in the tent business. Just trying to get some thoughts if owning 2 seasonal business that conflict with each other can be done successfully. I dont want to be so burnt out I hate getting up in the morning or never see my family, I think (but dont know) if this business could be planned well enough and have the right people that my actual labor or office time could be somewhat minimal, 10-12 per week. So who owns more then 1 company? what are some pros and cons.

2. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

i'm always a fan of expanding into other fields of business. off the top, the thing that jumps out at me is that it's primarily a fri/sat/sun/mon business. if you can give 7 days a week, why not?

i think you might also find that if you market to current lawn customers, you might see the friday mowing requests increase, along with upselling other landscape prep work for their event.

3. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I like the idea of multiple businesses. Currently I am working 2 businesses. The second is just a direct marketing business now, but I plan to get into 2 or 3 other things. I will just be sure to have great people around me to help me through it all. I dont think 5 businesses is too much.

4. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Right now i have the lawn bizz & Ebay bizz. later (5yrs) i plan to start up a car audio/ custom shop, than do custom choppers.

5. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

That was my first thought. There go your weekends! I have heard of a couple guys in my area that have bought a couple of those blow-up moon bounces and slides, and have them reserved for kids parties almost every weekend during the summer. This isn't too bad, because they only take like 20 minutes to set up, and maybe an hour to take down. As long as there isn't too much travel time, I could see this working.

Actually, now that I think of it, most tents that are rented for parties are setup on Thursday, so that the people can arrange seating/tables before the weekend, and they are usually taken down on Mondays. That may work well, and you may very well be able to use your mowing crews to help setup/take down. Some of your guys may be very happy to get a few overtime hours to do this, especially if it is during the week and not on weekends.

Keep us posted on how things go.

6. djf

djf LawnSite Member

What do i do ? What ever it takes ! It's all about cash flow.

7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

My Father runs 6 companies, it can be done

8. Georgia Bull Dog

Georgia Bull Dog LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I run 3 businesses ! I manufacture landscape lighting, have a large irrigation business and I am an H2B recruiting company. Need to establish priorities for the particular stage of your life. What is most important to you at this time.
    Noe

9. Anthony-MB

Anthony-MB LawnSite Member
    from georgia

I have a full time job plus run 2 businesses, lawn care (summer only) and wholesale-retail(ebay / fleamarket)

The main thing is to organize your space and time between your companies

10. Pro-lawns

Pro-lawns LawnSite Member

i run my lawn care company plus i race stock cars on the weekends
    both make me good money but it is time consumming and some times i dont have time for the famliy duriing the week but we are together on the weekends
    if u have what it takes go for it