Owning your business (help)

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JCLawn and more, Nov 21, 2013.

1. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

very good post here

2. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

When I have had people work for me I am usually pretty generous. I usually pay for lunch, drinks, gas money sometimes. I did make it pretty easy. Thats not easy when you run more than one person.

3. JCLawn and more

from MI

Exactly, the other thing is providing work year around...

4. JCLawn and more

from MI

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Surpris...85088918&sr=8-1&keywords=drive+by+daniel+pink Buying it now, looks good

5. Zackster

Zackster LawnSite Member

There's a good book that talks all about Systems and so forth for the landscape business.

The E Myth for the Landscape Contractor, by Michael E Gerber. I highly recommend it.

6. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think one thing that's hard to do, but a necessity, is create in their mind ownership in the company. Not actually owning, but taking pride in their work and in ownership.

For example...I was in the military. I took great pride in what I did, I took ownership in being a great troop and taking care of our equipment $600,000 vehicles. The goal is to create a vision/mission statement that people can buy into and believe, and want to be a PART of.

I know this is very different, Military vs. Lawn Care, and that's why it is hard to do, but necessary.

The other option is to offer crew leaders, managers, etc. bonuses when routes/jobs are completed on time, under time, etc.

7. JCLawn and more

from MI

ive heard that book float around on here a lot

8. JCLawn and more

from MI

This is one idea I want to try, but haven't got anywhere. Maybe I should ask the couple of people who worked for me in the past. Ownership is hard to instill. For some its natural, but very few.

9. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

It all starts with the interview process, DO YOU EVEN CONDUCT A FORMAL interview? Don't HIRE people, RECRUIT people, make it so people are WANTING to work for you, create a culture for your company that says "Man I WISH I COULD GET A POSITION WITH THAT COMPANY" You need a formal recruiting system, tell people you only recruit the best of the best, think about how the military does it, they don't hire anyone they recruit.

10. TriCityLawnCareLLC

TriCityLawnCareLLC LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ohio