Oxygen in a compost pile

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by GreenthumbGA, Apr 3, 2008.

1. GreenthumbGA

GreenthumbGA LawnSite Member

Setting up some massive piles for the year. In casual reading through one of the posts, someone mentioned that studies indicate that the oxygen in a pile is gone within hours after turning...

Is that why I read that treegal uses blowers to force oxygen in the pile.

curious..

2. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

YES I ..........air mon, lots of air

3. GreenthumbGA

How does this air get to all parts of the pile. I can picture my self standing over my pile pointing my echo blower at it saying to my self....uhhhhh no.

Do you use pvc pipes ran through the pile, all connected and capped off to push air throughout the pile.

"o" so curious...

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

sometimes i just use the pallet froks on the loader to add air to the pile

5. treegal1

wow, i need a pay pal acc. for consulting?

drain pipe the black stuff, with a blower, not lawn and leaf
    try thinking ring blower, regenerative, vacuum cleaner, exhaust fan and so on. air input = size of pile. next calculation heat loss and dissolved oxygen V. decomposition rates. so a timer and an O2 meter+temp. all turn blower on/off as needed. want plans send pm

there are pictures I posted awhile back

6. GreenthumbGA

I would have to put those consulting fees in the budget....I can do without food for a couple of weeks.

7. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

For good information,call treegal (with paypal)and you can start here tons of info http://www.compostingcouncil.org/index.cfm

Green, It depends on what your composting and how warm it is on a certain day. I have seen some pretty big composting facilities typically 8 to 10 acres and there was no need for air there. They are monitored every day with temp readings though. If the pile gets too hot they turn it, if a pile isn't getting hot enough they turn it

8. treegal1

seven acres that a big chip o land, for the space restricted we try to turn out 25 -50 tons per month in 300 sf indoors,
    but if you got 7 acres compost on! but if it needs to be controlled and clean for vermipost (no ants/spider-mites)
    static aerated piles or closed aerated vessel's are the way to go. JMO:waving:

9. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Here's Pogo's place in Maryland, he has 190 acres total and uses about 8 for composting, between his tree service and other tree companies they go through a lot of compost

Pogo's aerial.jpg

10. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Bill,

I can't see the pirate flag in that photo!