OZONE levels and Gov. rules

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J&R, Dec 13, 2003.

1. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

The City of chattanooga, Tennessee is talking about setting the number of days you can use your mowers. Because of high OZONE levels.The question is has any town in your cutting area set these kind of rules. and if so what in-pack did it have on your income.

2. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

It amazes me with what BS some city officials can come up with. Are they going to limit the number or cars driving too - and when you can drive or not?
    Why are they always targeting the lawn care industry? What is the sense in spending millions of $$$ doing R & D and the manufacturing of low emmision engines? Are they overseeing these efforts and contributions by the lawn care industry to promote a safer and cleaner environment?

PC

3. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

In this area they have "ozone action days" when they say you should not run mowers, but the local chemical plant just keeps on pumping them smokestacks. So does the paper mill. I'll take the day off when they do, not likely to happen.
    Crawdad

4. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes they are, eventually. That's the problem with letting government have too much control, that start restricting a little here, then a little more, and then even more. The problem is people don't realize what's happening until it's too late. You need to make your opinion heard now.

Randy

5. edrenckh

edrenckh LawnSite Member

I can't believe that it will apply to business use of mowers or vehicles. Should only affect personal vehicles.

You can take the bus to work. The majority of people do not have business use of their vehicles. Business has to get done. It will be GOOD for the lawn-care business if people can't run their mowers.

What are they going to do, eliminate UPS one day a week??? LOL. Interstate Commerce act has to be repealed first.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I believe the Dallas, Fort Worth already has restrictions on small engines. You're not allowed to use any engine under 25 horse before 12 noon.

It is ridiculous in that all outdoor equipment only accounts for something under 5% of total air pollution. Outdoor equipment includes all of the equipment we use, construction equipment like bulldozers and backhoes, boat engines etc.

The single biggest polluters are coal burning power plants which are over 50%.

7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Same here. I actually had a customer ask me to stop mowing because of the ozone action day once. I asked her if she was going to ask the traffic to stop as well. She said no, I went back to work.

:D

8. I was thinking some city tried that. I just don't remember where. They were trying to impose car pooling. Made it a law that you could only drive on odd numbered days or even numbered days, depending on the last digit on your license tag.
    It kind of blew up in their face. Commuters just bought a second car. Because commuters could only spend half as much on their car and it's upkeep, the city was choked with clunkers.

Dave