Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by D & J Lawn Care, Nov 18, 2007.

1. D & J Lawn Care

D & J Lawn Care LawnSite Member

does anybody uses pda and what are the software for our fields .I'm thinking it would be useful for route tracking
  2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

3. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Public Displays of Affection?
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It looks like they have a routing software, too. I am currently looking at some software packages. I am looking at service packages that coincide with QB, and have good routing programs. I need one that intelligent, and can automatically integrate and exchange stops with different territories.
  5. big acres

big acres LawnSite Member

We have been looking for the perfect set-up for about a dozen trucks for about a year and a half. We've been to GIE in Louisville twice and had someone researching almost daily. We are hoping to have real-time transmission of work orders, time-stamping, gps, and QB integration for billing -all in a package that won't allow the employees to mess it up. If it isn't the software, it's finding cost efficient and durable hardware to run it, or vice-versa. Oddly, this stuff is changing so fast, we are now taking a second look at the first one we ever looked at, as it has made some major improvements in the past year. We have a significant investment in research and are determined to see it through -to many billable $s slipping through the cracks due to sloppy paperwork. Any success? I'd love to hear about it.
  6. Desertdweller

Desertdweller LawnSite Member

Have you looked at Hindsight? We are in the early stages with them and have talked to several other companies that have used them. Their software looks impressive, is QB integrated and runs on a PDA, smart phone, laptop etc. They are right there in St. Paul.
  7. big acres

big acres LawnSite Member

Though I haven't been immediately involved in our search, I can say that I have not heard the name tossed around. Wouldn't it be a kicker if the solution was 20 minutes from our front door? We are currently in our second month of demo for CLIP software, supposedly a bigger name. We have set-up a dummy company for practice. You better have someone ready to tackle this one full time, and with unreliable customer support. I'll check into Hindsight. btw -thanks.
  8. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

They are also coming out with a PC Tablet version, which seems the most logical for our application of service/sales needs. We already bought some military grade PDA's since durability of the PDA's were a major concern until we found the "TDS Recons". And we are going to protect our PC Tablets with "Otter Boxes, which you can also buy to protect your PDA's." I am looking forward to implementing the technology for next season. I am excited about the precise billing, having customer history in the field, customer signatures, tracking parts better, logistical mapping of routes and being able to track each workers productivity better.

Everyone should list all the programs they have looked into so others have a starting point if they are in the market.
  9. Desertdweller

What PDA's are you using? We've also looked into the rugged tablets. Down here the heat will melt things quick and I need something that can take 130 in the truck. I really have a hard time pulling the trigger for $2000+ per truck. Are you also printing invoices wirelessly from the PDA? I also need a printer that can stand the heat.
  10. Desertdweller

We have talked with 3 other companies across the US who use Hindsight and their customer support is one thing they rave about. We have called them probably a dozen times so far on questions and gotten to someone each time. We are still training on their product and that is once or twice a week for a couple hours each. I think total training is like 12 hrs plus you get support. They also have training sessions. There is one in AZ next month that we are going to. They aren't a giant compamy but don't act like a little company.