P.E. Model 521 Help

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Rainman7, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Rainman7

Rainman7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I need to find a cut wire and forgot how to use my model 521 locator to do this. Its been a long time since I used it and I dont know where the manual went. I think you hook it up differently to find a cut wire as opposed to a solenoid.

Any tips.

Thanks,
    Ray

2. bdb

bdb LawnSite Member

You have to put the ground in the ground with the steak and you should be off. Thats how I do it anyways....but it has to be a good ground. Sometimes I pour water by it to get a good ground.

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

If I remember correctly you mark the wire route as you go and when you lose the signal, turn the sensitivity way down and go over the last few feet of what you already have marked. When the thing "beeps out" you should be somewhere in the vicinity. I was never good at this and that's why we also got the companion ground fault locator. :)

4. Rainman7

Rainman7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Thanks,

That thing works great. Traced the wire 300' and found a bad splice. I dug it up and checked it while the transmitter was still on, quite a shocking experience. That little lanter battery gives you some zap.

Ray

5. PurpHaze

Oops! You should feel the zap from the ground fault locator if you're into pain. :p

6. Yes.......and every 4-8 seconds you get another....LOL...been there done that.

7. PurpHaze

At least it gives you a few seconds to allow you to decide if you want another jolt or have had enough for the day. :dizzy:

Might work great as an S&M toy too. Or even a torture device for those customers that are late paying their bills? :laugh: