P-G Ride on sprayer maintenance

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by redbuckcavs, Feb 16, 2008.

1. redbuckcavs

redbuckcavs LawnSite Member
    from indiana

2 yrs ago (Feb 06) I bought a new Pg Magnum and fell in love with the machine except the transmission went out 11 months later. Last Feb I received a new transmission (UNDER WARRANTY) and continued throughout 07 with no major problems.

Today I decided to do major maintenance including a thorough cleaning. After removing the tires I noticed some fertilizer dust "worked" its way under the plastic that is wrapped around the transmission. to make a long story short, I removed the entire transmission and completely tore off the plastic that is wrapped around the transmission and could not believe how much fertilizer was there waiting to "eat through" the trans----HORRIBLE DESIGN.
    has anyone else noticed a similar problem.

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

These guys are very high maintenance. wash after every use.:drinkup:

03.jpg

3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't have the Magnum but a friend bought one and had the same thing happen to him. The transmission went out still under warranty. When they sent him a new one he said it had been coated with something like Rhino liner. I would think this would be much better. I have the Ultra and it still has the plastic wrap around it. I probably should pull it off. I just never did because it stated I would void the warranty by doing so... Of course the warranty is long since passed.

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Ted,
    I have the same feeling--which is better? leave the plastic in place--OR--remove it (ignore the directions form Permagreen) and coat the aluminum with nothing at all --or with a heavy coat of paint or rubberized undercoating?

5. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm afraid to pull the plastic of for fear of what I'll find.:laugh: I was considering doing that this year. Hey Riggle, I have a question I've been wanting to ask you about the Ultra. This past year while I had the machine in regular use I noticed(particularly in the heat of the summer) I had a very minute amount of transmission fluid leak out. I found the source of the "drip" but it appears there is no way to stop it. If it becomes necessary, do you know if there is a place on the transmission where I could add gear oil if necessary?...Just something I've been wondering. I'm thinking if I pull the plastic off, I'll clean it extremely well,wire brush it and everything, then apply a bed liner product of some kind....worth considering.

6. redbuckcavs

redbuckcavs LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I did a complete cleaning after I dropped the trans. and sprayed with a multi purpose rubber coating. Knowing how much fert was jammed in the crevices I'll wash this machine more often.

Now that I went through all this trouble, it just crossed my mind---How hot does the transmission get on a normal days work. I couldn't imagine the rubber coating would get too hot

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Guys,
    I took a look at my transmission, and decided it would be too difficult to clean it up and paint it due to the cracks and crevices and inaccessible areas. Power wash and dry with compressed air would be about as much as Ii could do. Still-a little primer and spray paint --couldn't hurt. Still thinking.

I looked for an opening or filler plug to add oil--did not find any place to add oil or check oil.

8. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

most hydro pumps if covered w/ grime will over heat causing premature failure, this goes for hyd. motors too.

9. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

The transmission in the PG's has had a corrosion problem since they we're first used. We've always taken the plastic bags off... they do more harm than good. On the new trans we coat them with either Herculiner or POR15. We going to see which one works better. If any of you are rebuilding these trans, we've found it's easier to coat them before you re-assemble.
    We've used rubberized undercoating in the past as well as spray-on bed liner, neither worked all the well.
    The oil fill plug is in the front on the pre-Magnum design. It's a black rubber plug on the top of the case near the large drive pulley. You'll have to pull it out with pliers and put it back in with a phillips screw driver. You'll have to remove the plastic bag to see it if you trans still has one.
    The trans do get hot if you're riding for a while, but not as much as a hydro on a mower or z-spray.

10. Blink74

Blink74 LawnSite Member

I'm buying a ride on this year. I think the PG is the best machine for me given the properties I treat are small to mid sized. However, posts such as this one have me wondering. I like to get at least 3-5 years out of a piece of equipment with minimal repairs.