P.O.A bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pbr1893, May 4, 2004.

1. pbr1893

pbr1893 LawnSite Member

ok, a homeowners association wants a bid for approx 3 miles of roadside mowing and weedeating. the entire 3 miles needs it now but i think once cut, a third will need cutting once every 3 weeks. the roadsides range from six feet plus trimming to 10-12 feet plus trimming on both sides. we are in the mountains so trimming consists of three feet up banks or three feet over bank. i have several p.o.a.'s already but none this size. my question is pricing...per hour, per zone, or some combination? the reason per hour for the first time is to judge how long it will take. i also want to be fair of course and a slightly lower price could get me inside and lead to homeowner upkeep.
    any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated. my equipment used will be a 48 dedicated bobcat zturn, 1-36 bocat walk behind, and weedeaters.

2. pbr1893

pbr1893 LawnSite Member

step up and give me some help here!

3. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Sounds like you've got around 3 acres of mowing and 30,000 linear feet of trimming. What can you get, for mowing, per acre, in your area? Then you've got to figure how long it will take you to trim and what your desired hourly rate is.

If they go for an hourly rate, do that, but I would imagine they are going to want to know exactly what it's going to cost.

4. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

The closest I have to that is 1/4 mile right of way i mow and trim. Its steep in spots. I charge 75 -takes 50 minutes. Its about 20 feet wide.

5. pbr1893

pbr1893 LawnSite Member

well, i figure three guys at close to 7hours or 21-24 man hours. you see, its broken up and there are a few common areas and mountainous but nothing too big. maybe at 25-30 dollars per man hour and then fairly adjust up or down after first cut. they said that they would work with me! but, i will give them a good price to get my foot in the door. but, i wont give it away for free. thanks! keep the replies coming!

6. pbr1893

pbr1893 LawnSite Member

trying this again in hopes of a better response!

7. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Rick Jones has the right answer - all we can do is say what we are getting in our respective areas. For instance, I received $400 per cut for 5 miles of riight of way - however, about 1/3 was not mowable(if this is a word :) . No hand trimming - nothing but mowing with a ztr. Averaged about $100.00/hr
    I will say, if I had that much hand trimming, plus about 3-4 acres of mowing, a minimum (provided you have commercial insurance and liability) - around me would bring at least $325+ per cut.
    One thing I wouldn't count on is homeowner's using your services due to your work on the POA's right of way.
    All I ever got was bitching, this is too short, this is too long-don't mow my ROA because I do it special (yea, like a weed encrusted, crap filled area is special). If you are not careful, you are walking in to a potential world of hurt.
    I use the 60% rule - if I land 60% of my estimates, I'm priced okay - a bit on the high side, but okay.
    However- I have done a great deal of work for POA's, don't price yourself short-the damned POA's will come back and nickle and dime you to death (a side from being a pita) - charge accordingly.
    Good Luck !
    Steve

8. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

pbr1983, is your CAPS key broken?????? Anyway, on to your question. Give the guy a ballpark figure, mow it once, then go from there. Good luck!!