P/T Aeration business advice?!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Viking Aeration, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Viking Aeration

Viking Aeration LawnSite Member

Hi All,

Chris Thomson from Ontario Canada here, I work F/T (am Military) and I have been thinking of starting up a simple small Part-time Aeration Bsns here, and was wondering if anyone had any advice on the Fol areas? ;

1 - Will most likley use a easy transportably Plug Aerator, walk behined. I was thinking of the Plugr? Thoughts? (PS I eed to be able to buy it here in Canada)

2 - Marketing, what have you all found to be a effective way to market this sort of service? (Flyers, lawn signs? etc..?)

3 - What should one charge for this type of service? (I am in the Military nd my boss showed me a flyer he got) (that's what got me thinking about doin this) it said "Full power plug lawn aeration $39? Now personally this is a price point I would believe most homes would have no problem accepting! BUT! do you all think it's to low? thoughts?

4 - Not sure but since I'd do this on evenings and Weekends I'd say 1-3 jobs per week consistant I would consider this to be a fairly successful part-time venture? do you all agree? Or do you think one shoul be doing a lot more?

5 - Any other advice? (the only other thing I can think of would be is; I picked this becasue this seems to be 1 very important area of lawn care tha the average person/ Family just DOSEN'T do! Its a pain, they have to rent mchn, which I can assure you 99% don't even bother) so I thought hey, with 1 machine I might fill a void?

6 - Any other advice tips? IE areas to not bother with? (new homes with lawns less that 1 yr old?) etc...etc...

thanks very much in avance!
    PS there is only 1 other "Aeration dude" in my City of 150,000. BUT there is about 25-30 listing for lawn/lanscape companies.
    Is there still room for a Aeration Dude!?
  2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Go for it.

I would start with some of those corner signs but find out what the laws are. Typically you can put them out on weekends only.

$39.00 is too low. You might market that to of the lawn boys and they would sell to their clients for twice that most likely.
  3. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

thye price is on par for Saskatchewan. That is what everyone else is charging. Based on a 50x100 lot.
    I just bought a plugr. I have not used it yet but I believe it to be...by far the best aerator.