P77 Bermuda help

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by LawnObsession, Apr 13, 2011.

1. LawnObsession

LawnObsession LawnSite Member

Hello all -

First, I am in Austin, TX, so that gets the location information out of the way. Second, I have a small business, but it's not in this industry, but I wanted to hear from the experts.

A while back, I poisoned the old yard -- waited and then removed a few inches of dirt. I replaced the old dirt with manure, enriched topsoil and 18-18-18 starter fertilizer. I ended up seeding (March 24th) my princess 77 Bermuda, and I've been watering around 4-5 times a day, to keep the soil bed moist.

However, I believe germination is now complete. It looks like grass is coming out at just about every spot. I am guessing the spots that are thin, are due to a heavier topsoil content -- since I didn't do a great job rolling the yard.

Here are the pics from a few days ago:

Anyway, in the last few days, I've seen some brown/black blades coming up. I don't know if I've over-watered of put out too much fertilizer. The last time the grass was watered -- was last night. I am thinking of cutting back to every other day.

Here are the pics from today:

What is wrong with my grass and what should I do to fix it? How much should I water and when? Any other help? Thanks so much for your time.
  2. richardcog

richardcog LawnSite Member

Yes stop watering so much once a day about 15 to 20 min