Pa.bus.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassroots lawn, Jan 26, 2006.

1. grassroots lawn

grassroots lawn LawnSite Member

just wanted to see what most pa .people were going to possibly change in their operation because of the very dry yr. last yr.lot's of crabgrass.dried up areas.etc.just wanted to get a picture how most of you pro's are going to handle it... thankssssssssssss j

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

J - The most damage was done by grubs. We aerated and overseeded in the fall, but I think that we will have to go back and thatch/overseed/topdress to get things back in order. We will also be applying a pretreatment for grubs in early Spring (in addition to the normal one)

Chris

3. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Same plan as last year but definetly lowering customers expectations and explaining the limits of what a program can do.

Disease was just as much of a problem as drought and insects.

4. livingsoils

livingsoils LawnSite Member

We are going to use split applications of Dimension. We are also strongly recommending to our customers to get the Grub control this year. We noticed a lot of grubs hanging around in the soil last fall. Don't forget to reiterate to your customers that Merit must be watered into be effective. Last year, we had very little rain and a lot of Grub damage.

5. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Chris,

Is the pre-treatment for possible Spring damage from last year's grub activity?
    Keep an eye out for Green June Beetle damage as I saw a lot of them last fall.

Between the drought, disease and insects, last year was tough. Hopefully it gets a little better in '06.

6. grassroots lawn

When doing split applications of dimen. How many pounds per thousand per application. When are you going to put your first app down. When is the second app. and aren't you going to run into the problem of having to spray for broadleaf right around the time of the second app. That would probably be a double bill....am I wrong in thinkin that? What is the NPK of the dimension you plan on using? Just some questions to learn other local people's ideas. Also, how about just one heavy app. of dimension 4-5 pounds per thousand or doesn't that sound right?

thanks j

7. grassroots lawn

When doing split applications of dimen. How many pounds per thousand per application. When are you going to put your first app down. When is the second app. and aren't you going to run into the problem of having to spray for broadleaf right around the time of the second app. That would probably be a double bill....am I wrong in thinkin that? What is the NPK of the dimension you plan on using? Just some questions to learn other local people's ideas. Also, how about just one heavy app. of dimension 4-5 pounds per thousand or doesn't that sound right?

thanks j

8. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Do one app at 5lbs. per k, then come back 4-6 weeks later for weed control, then 4-6 weeks later for late spring/early summer fert....

9. grassroots lawn

that is the direction i will be taking natty.i was told the same thing by someone at lesco.thanks so much groooooooooooots