Pa sales tax

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by CJMLS, Jul 13, 2007.

1. CJMLS

CJMLS LawnSite Member

Question?

I have been charging sales tax for my services. Recently I had a customer arguing that services are not taxable. I believe that not to be the case; at least for services pertaining to maintenence. Am I wrong?

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I have been through that same predicament (SP?) wich a client. I printed out that page Jodi posted (a couple years ago) and mailed it to the customer. Shut them up right away. Thanks Jodi.

4. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Some things in Pa are taxable, some are not.

Lawn Cutting, treatments, aeration, overseeding are taxable.

Mulching, Bed Maintenance, Leaf Raking (Cleanups), Snow removal are not taxable.

Hope this helps. Although soon everything will be taxable.

5. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Just tax everything like New York, makes things simple.

6. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Why would you tax everything? You have to compete with the hacks that tax nothing because they do everything under the table. Give your customers a break and tax only what you need to. It just as easy either way on your end and you'll save your customers a few bucks.

7. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

You tax everything because NY tells you to.It's just the way it is here. Sales tax is not even questioned in this state.

8. CJMLS

CJMLS LawnSite Member

Thanks Jodi for your link and everyone for your comments. I was surfing the PA site for that info with no success. Pa's page is not the easiest to get around on. I'll attach it to that customer's next invoice.

CJM

9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Wait a minute..........

you have been collecting sales tax with out a tax number ?

Dude if I were you I would try to get the monitors to delete this post and never tell anyone that.

10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

He doesn't say he doesn't have a number. I took it he was just looking for something to print out to prove the customer. In PA it does get confusing on what to collect sales tax on, and what not to. At least for me it was confusing in the beginning. :dizzy: