Pachysandra problem

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Thatguy682, May 4, 2008.

1. Thatguy682

Thatguy682 LawnSite Member

This is actually Vinca, not pachysandra. I jut had pachysandra on my mind when I wrote this. I have a large bed of vinca on a fairly steep hill. A couple years ago I had a roof done and they really trampled it. It has mostly come back except for a 1' wide path leading up to a 6' x 6' area which it seems to refuse to grow into. My guess is that when they trampled it all the decent dirt washed away. What would be the best way to go about getting some growth in the area.

My thoughts were put down peat, mulch, topsoil, and/or fertilizer (maybe something else?). Then turn the soil over to mix it up so the decent stuff can't just wash on down the hill. I also have some vinca growing wild in a wooded area behind my house. Can I transplant this into the bed to help it fill in faster? How should I did it out/divide it?

I also do have an area of pachysandra that was stepped on in the same manor. Now it doesn't want to come back. I was just going to buy some and replant as the area is pretty small. Is there any fertilizer I should use? Should I throw mulch or something in the beds?
  2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

When they trampled it, the soil was probably compacted- not washed away. I'd probably buy a few new flats and plug in the bare areas and work the soil up at the same time. A good mulching won't hurt either. I find vinca beds decline or cease to spread when they dry out too much. I'd also apply a 14-14-14 balanced landscape/ornamental fertilizer to your groundcover areas. They need food too!

Buying new flats and plugging them in will probably be more successful (and less time consuming) than trying to "root-tone' cuttings into your problem area...
  3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I pretty much ditto PerfectEarth, except for one thing:

I've found that the lion's share of the groundcover beds that I've dealt with through the years...from wintercreeper to ajuga to vinca to 'pach' to English ivy ( you name it...I've done it! ) has in the 25 years I've been involved in landscaping / lawn care, all responded better with a once-a year "dousing" of about a 3/4" layer of finished compost, of manure/leaf origin, usually.

I've seen traditional landscape ferts like 14-14-14 do some very real damage to groundcovers...even the REALLY "slow-release" hi-tech nursery-grade stuff.
  4. Newt*

Newt* LawnSite Member

I agree with Marcos about adding organic amendments. Don't bother with the peat moss, just add compost and mix it into the soil. That will take care of the compaction problem.

As far as the vinca in the woods, if you want to do something good for the environment and the critters, dig it out of the woods and dispose of it in the trash or your compost heap. Vinca is a foreign invader and can do damage to the woodland environment.

5. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Do you think struggling oriental jasmine ground cover might respond well to a compost dousing?

btw, the jasmine is in shade for most of the day.
  6. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I thought I saw an oriental named Jasmine struggling when I was in Thailand, but.....oops!...(supposed to be quiet about that ;)).

All kidding aside...:rolleyes:
    I don't think you could lose....just make sure you don't "douse" it just before a "natural" resting period.
    (In other words...I wouldn't do this in mid-late fall !)
  7. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

You must have been working on the railroad.