Package Deal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turtle II, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Turtle II

Turtle II LawnSite Member

Hello everyone,,,

I saw a package deal in the back of one of those car trader / supply magazines.
    I wish I had a scanner,,,,,it was a full page add,,,pic,,,etc.....I'll quote it word for word here,

"EXMARK PACKAGE DEAL"

**exmark lazer Z rider - 60" - 25hp mower
    **16' load trail utility trailer with gate, 7000lb. GVWR
    **stihl BR420 Magnum Backpack Blower
    **stihl FS-85(loop) Grass Trimmer
    **Trimmertrap Trimmer Rack (holds 3)
    **Trimmertrap Stihl Blower Rack
    **Water Cooler and Holder

1250 DOWN & 185.00 / 60 MONTHS.........

END QUOTE///////////////

That is excatly what the add says......

In the pic the trailer has two axels,,,,,but the side rails are very small..........
    I know I could probably buy each peice individually allot cheaper then the total cost of this deal which comes out to be $12,350.00 dollars.
    Thats allot of money to come up with all at once.......But I could quickly muster the 1250 downpayment.........Then to make the 185 per month payment,,,all I would have to do is one yard per week for 50.00 bucks and theres the equipnment....... or two yards per week for 25 / 30 etc........
    What do you think??? I think I'm gonna be a part timer very soon.......
    Yeaaaaaa haaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS----hope that doesent make me a scrub...... :D

PSS----Luckly this package deal set-up does not match what is listed in the "EXMARK REWARD" post at the top of this board.

2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

good luck SCRUB. -just kidding hope you have good success and a long timer. it's a great business w/great earning potential.

3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

You could get a package deal like that or whatever you want put together at any dealer. They can finance blowers and trimmers or whatever along with the big ticket items. Make one purchase to start the business with most of what you will need. Finance companies understand that and will let you put more on than just a mower. I guess you would need to price everything in that add and find out what you are paying for the equipment and interest. It looks good now until that mower is used up in 3 or 4 years and you have a 5 year loan on it and it's now junk that isn't paid for that needs replacing. A 5 year loan on mowing equipment isn't a good idea to me personally. Although it is commercial equipment, with heavy daily use, it will wear out eventually. Possibly before your note is taken care of. Or at least, need updating and moved into your backup or spare equipment status.

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

If that equipment has any hours on it at all, it is way overpriced at the advertised price. I would say the whole package is worth about $8000.00 max. if the equipment has one seasons use on it.
    If it is all new and has new warranty, then the price is about right maybe.:(

5. Turtle II

The equipnment is all new.....I spoke to sales rep today........
    I am going to have a look on Monday.....Its a few hours drive.....

I like the advice about the 5 year note vs. life of mower......

I also like the thought of a back up mower.....and if I can build my coustomer base fast enough, there should be bucks for more equipnment & gear after two years........

I have been mapping all this out on paper---just to make sure it will really work & thanks to Lawnsite.Com and all you guys here,,,I know I can do this and make a solid/good living......
    You guys are great here......

I've read many post where guys have said, "reading at this place here is like getting a degree in landscaping".

It is definetly true,,,,,

Hope you all are haveing a great holiday season.......

Turtle II
    :cool:

6. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

If possible buy a weed wacker this month and lets say next month or so buy a blower. Then perhapse a good used 36 inch walk behind and a cheapo home depot murray special for lite trimming or extremely tight spots. Then when spring gets here get your self a trailer and a good mower like the Z. Usually there is some sort of no payment deal for 3 or 6 months with no interest, be careful though there is always a catch, I say take the no payment plan and when it is time to start paying charge the balance to your lowest APR credit card, usually the interest is lower that a loan from some of those companies. In the mean time take those no payment months and pay off your $1000 trailer. That would be the route I would take If I were to start off during this day and age. Creditors make it too easy to run up debt, if for what ever reason you fail all you have to get out from under is a mower and at worst you will be stuck with a 36 month loan for around 215 rather than 60 months. Whatever route you choose I wish you luck..we were all scrubs at one time or another:D GOOD LUCK!!!

7. cajuncutter

Turttle I just wanted to note I started off with a 22 inch murray, electric blower and electric weed wacker and my old full size 82 bronco ( no trailer ) I slowly built up my setup paying cash for everything with the exception of my big mower, financed that for 36 months. I say slowly build by starting off with a wlakbehind and build up your customer base and then start rocking!!!

8. Turtle II

Cajun,,,
    Please take no offense my friend but you made me bust out laughing by reminding me of some of my relitives and in-laws thoughts & comments...
    LoL

I've thought of buying pice by pice myself and just financing a Z and a trailer......But all I need to do now is build my customer base. I will have a 7 to 4 job untill the begining of 2004.

Also a 36 inch walk behind would do me little good.......

In my planned target neighborhood's my smallest yards will be 200 X 100 ft. Hopefully I will land several contracts with homes that are on acreage.

SO--I need the big Z,,," takes money to make money" theroy....

And build a customer base.......
    Thats all I really need to do......and make at least say 250 per month to cover cost....... 3 or 4 homes in different neighborhoods---get my foot in the door......

I know it might sound crazy---but I can afford to pay 200 per month better then I can several different bills......Time is money....
    Also-----if I really hit the nail on the head and make bucks I can pay off the note and shave a few bucks there.

That reminds me,,,,,Can you duduct this 185 per month equipnment payment from all your gains as a business expense??? or do you have to do the deperation thing like a truck/vehicle.........

wow--sorry guys ---I'm just rambling on here with this business plan etc,,,,thats a different thread.....

Cajun, thanks for the advice / thoughts...

Makes you think-----helps figure things out......

This place rocks...........

9. cajuncutter

my lot is 80 by 150...it is a cake walk to mow with my 36..however ridders will spoil you and you would never want to walk another step after rideing:D Anyway you need to get with your accountant on the tax thing. I know when I financed my big mower my CPA wrote the entire thing off..don't ask me how or why..that is what I pay him for...and I take no offense...every I have done for myself has worked for me...I just laugh to the bank when I think about it ;)

10. ugrowemo

ugrowemo LawnSite Member

It sounds like a great deal. I was skeptical until i read the post that the items are brand new. Than i thought it was definately a good idea. I say go for it!!

Chuck