Package deals

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Josh18, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Josh18

Josh18 LawnSite Member
    from AL

This year has been a great learning experience for me. I am already planning for next year. In addition to just mowing, trimming, edging, and blowing. What else to you guys offer. I was trying to come up with some "package deals" for my clients. I was thinking that I could include hedge trimming on a mone thly basis and maybe include flower bed weeding once a month also. Do any of you do this sort of thing? I am just looking for ideas to try to sell. Thanks

2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Josh, you hit the nail on the head.. My services are what you mentioned.. I only do the things you listed... Mow, trim, edge, &blow, are all part of a mowing service.. Hedges and bed maintenance are an extra cost option. Soon, I want to get liscenced to do irrigation, and apply chems.. I also do areation, But I've decided not to get into any real " hard core labor intensive " landscape projects yet.. I really need to grow what I do now, before I venture into the extras, although I believe the " extras " will wind up makin more $$$ than Lawn Maintenance..

3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Josh,

I offer mowing as you do as my basic package. Then I have slots for addons in my bid.

add on #1 is hedge trimming. I don't do it monthly I do it as needed for $x extra dollars monthly

add on #2 is weed control in beds. also done as needed for $y extra

In the growing season it may well be every 3 weeks but in winter it is more likely every 6 weeks and I try to do one this week and the other next.

carefully word what you trim. Specifically exclude peoples trees and the like. Perhaps stating if it needs a ladder it is extra.

I offer sod installs, fertilization, mulching, and simple plant installs all year. In spring and fall I also offer complete yard clean ups. For me the big money is in sod and clean ups. 10 pallet sod job next week. My material cost $750 my revenue $3200.

4. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Precision
    You can get 10 pallets of sod for $750!!??? Maybe I am getting ripped off but here in NC I am paying $110 pallet, of course thats for fescue and you use....bermuda? Either way you are gonna make some nice profit

5. Creative Lawn Care, exactly how many sq ft does one pallet cover

Rich Landscapes

6. Josh18

Josh18 LawnSite Member
    from AL

txlawnking, howdo you charge for the weeding and hedge trimming. Obviously its not as much as a first time cleanup type deal, right? For example, I weeded one flower bed for a lady, charged $90 and took about 2.5 hours. If I kept it regularly maintained it would take between 10-15 minutes to look the beds and pull the weeds. So how should I charge for this?

7. Josh18

Josh18 LawnSite Member
    from AL

anyone else have anything to add???

8. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Josh, no, it's not the same as a clean-up. That's a whole nother deal.. My rate for bed maintenance, is $65 an hr.. I don't TELL them that, I make a mental notaion as I'm looking the job over to give them my Estimate. I make a rough mental estimate of the time needed to do the job, and then apply my rate to it, and give them the number.. Same with Hedges.. If the customer opts for a total package deal.. I tack on to the monthly price the time for maintenance, which is considerably less time than a bed/hedge clean up. I hope this helped you.. God bless you, and your business...

9. brbsta

brbsta LawnSite Member

I have a commerical account that wants me to but new bark down and weed the front of there building. They have a bed of bark and smaller hedges. The thing is totally infested with huge weeds. Probly take me all day to just clean out the front, what would u charge. Also anything speical u use to clean up weeds like that.

Thanks

10. Josh18

Josh18 LawnSite Member
    from AL

Txlawnking, thanks for the info. I do have one more quesiton though. If you are doing bed maintenance and you know the bed takes you 25 mintues to go thru, do you charge a minimum of one hour of work ($65) or will you charge roughly a buck a minute. Sorry for so many questions but I appreciate the help