packing it away

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfguy, Nov 5, 2000.

1. turfguy

turfguy LawnSite Member

AS THE SEASON COMES TO A CLOSE I AM FACED WITH THE PROBLEM OF STORING MY MACHINES FOR THE WINTER. DO YOU SEE ANY PROBLEM WITH COVERING UP THE WHOLE TRAILER? EVERY THING IS CLEANED,COATED,WAXED AND READY TO GO. SHOULD I WORRY ABOUT MICE????? I WOULD MUCH PREFERED TO KEEP IT ALL INDOORS BUT SPACE IS VERY TIGHT ANY THOUGHTS???

2. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I do what you are planning on. Just cover it well to keep everything dry. I do leave some gaps so ar will circulate to remove moisture and heat buildup. But the rain and snow don't touch the equipment.

jeff

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

A handful of mothballs will keep mice away (not if there are small children around however).

4. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

I'm keeping my equipment indoors this winter, just got the bigger door finished in our 13'x15' building today. Be careful about rats, they'll build nests in the shrouds, I have a Massey Ferguson that had been setting out for a while before I bought it and it kept burning out sparkplugs, as I took it down there was a big rat's nest in the flywheel shrouding. I'm glad to have a good place to keep our equipment.

5. dylan

dylan Member
    from Ontario

Watch out for those mice. Use the mothballs. I store my equipment in my barn. Several years ago, my old yardman with the 12hp briggs got a mouse nest around the flywheel. The mice made it with insulation they dragged over from a nearby house construction. First time I used it next spring the spark plug wire melted and inslulation was blowing out everywhere. Now I check my engines every spring.

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I rented a storage locker, 10'x15', for 3 months. It was around $100 per month. I'll probably to the same this year.

7. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

i guess living in the south this wouldn,t come up too much ...we are still in the 80s ...any way cover it up allow air flow, change all the engine oils with fresh add fuel stabilzer to a full tank of gas .run the unit for 15min to get sab. into the carb real good,pull out the battery. pull the spark plug and spray some pb blaster in the chamber replace the plug grease all fittings and say good night.......hope this helps

8. Lawnnorder

Lawnnorder LawnSite Member

I do all the above plus take my equipment into the local rustproofing shop for spraying....trailer, equipment...everything. This protects the paint, keeps everything lubricated, resists moisture and of course no rust. Costs me $50.00.

9. Ventilation will be important with a waterproof cover.

Moisture will come out of the ground and condense inside the cover and on all surfaces of your equipment.

When the night has been cold and the day is warm and humid, moisture will condense on the cold surfaces of your equipment.

Mothballs will work to keep mice and such out. But remember that the smell will be on your equipment next year.
    It is real hard to get rid of.

Napthalene is a benzene compound and it is toxic.

The fumes will cause brain and kidney damage. Infants and children are especially at risk.

"Acute (short-term) exposure of humans to naphthalene by inhalation, ingestion, and dermal contact is associated with hemolytic anemia, damage to the kidneys, and, in infants, brain damage. Symptoms of acute exposure include headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, malaise, confusion, anemia, jaundice, convulsions, and coma." (US EPA)

10. Hello Everybody:

All of these are great ideas, but:

I have seen all kinds of things with all kinds of Machinery & Equipment.

The one thing that I have noticed is problems that can happen when you just let it set & not do nothing for months on end. I have seen a riding lawnmower with gas treatment in it & after sitting for a little less than 2 years, in a building. They went to crank mower & it wouldn't crank.

They did everything possible to take care of it, well the valves were stuck to the block & when freed up it took out such a big chunck, they had to short Block engine.

I feel from past experience that one of the worst things that you can do to any machinery is just let it set.

Do everything that has been mentioned but carry it one more step further. About every 3 to 4 weeks take it & crank it up, run it for at least 30 minutes if at all possible. You might not notice results then but I feel you will after a period of time.

Ask any maintenance man at some big manufacturing plant. If they are running the Machinery say five days a week. Then later they go to 7 day operation, the break downs reduce by roughly 40%. This is when the guys in maintenance can be facing layoffs. Due to less break downs & maintenance!

This is just my thoughts! I've been there & done that both ways.