1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pacysandra die out

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jrodgers, Mar 12, 2002.

1. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

Has anyone had a problem like this? I live in South Jersey and one of my customers has an area of Pacysandra that has just started to all the sudden die out. It is a large area of Pac. and the die out is only occuring in the area that is exposed to the sun, the rest of it is shaded by trees and doing fine. It has been an unusually warm and very dry winter here so I am thinking it is winter kill. Thanks...
  2. hollywood

hollywood LawnSite Member

here in MD we have noticed a similar pattern with the pac. again these were sun exposed areas. it also is the worst we have ever seen it as far as winter die back. it has been dry in MD also with some substantial wind on a few days. in the same bed where the pac. was some blue rug junipers and mugo pines that showed more than usual winter kill. we need rain badly.
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

you said the answer in your post. pachysandra does not do well in the sun at all. It will grow the best in full shade.
  4. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

This Pac. has been in this area as long as I have been doing the property(8yrs) and has been fine up until now. What plants are "supposed" to do can differ in certain situations.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Pacysandra will take some sun...just not a whole lot. It does like the shade. Personally, I think it's due to an unusually warm Winter and the drought conditions the entire NE is experiencing right now. If we don't get some serious rain (and soon), I think we're gonna' see a lot of dying off.
  6. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

jrodgers-I just wanted to add that I had a similar problem with a customer a few years ago. We had done a clean-up there late in December when the ground was pretty frozen. We raked out the pachy pretty vigorously and the following spring it looked dead. We really did some damage by raking it out when it was covered with frost. It wasn't until July or August that it finally came back. Was it possible that this happened on your property? Mike