Paid lunches......yes or no

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by SprinklerGuy, Nov 29, 2001.

1. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

Guys I say that with a small crew like Tony has, its ok to pay them for a short lunch break. When you give your guys that little extra its not so hard to get them to do the same for you.

I have a question about this time clock jazz. Doesnt your workmans comp require your guys to punch a clock. I thought that was manditory for hourly employees.
    In case they get hurt off the clock it doesnt go against you.

2. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

I must be a real pushover. I pay for the lunch break and the food.
    Sometimes it gets out of control. But then again I work the pee out of 'em when we work.

3. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

We do not take 2 fifteen min. breaks like most crews. Instead they are rolled into an hour lunch of which only 1/2 hour is deducted.

Rex

4. G.Williams

G.Williams LawnSite Member

everyone is required to take a half hour lunch and we do not pay for it. they are aware of this before they are hired so there is no surprise. Breaks they get during drive time. We eliminated breaks because they were getting out of hand. Then again we have 30 people on the crews. Start adding up the wasted time and you'd think differently.

5. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I only have a couple of guys, and they're part time. I pay them for lunch (when we eat) and usually buy their lunch. It isn't that much money and it makes a big difference to their morale/attitude.