Paid Thru Lunch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Dec 13, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you work from 8-4. half hour lunch break 12:30-1. are you paying your help for 8 hrs or only 7.5?

2. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I pay through there lunch time with the understanding that it is no longer than .5 hr long.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto...even though most of the time they eat between jobs.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The few times I use help I pay through lunch. If I were to go the regular employee step I would deduct for lunch. They get enough free time riding between jobs.

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

My workers get paid for lunch, provided it is no longer than 1/2 hour break. Often if we are in the area (and usually are) we go through the drive through at Taco Bell (we all like it, and drive throughs save time of parking which is difficult there, and locking everything up as we can't see the equipment from where the seats are) and then go to the park a few blocks away and sit and eat. We have quite a few jobs in the area around taco bell so we don't have time to eat between jobs so we just sit down and break a bit. More peaceful quiet environment than inside taco bell... more restful. i'm around noisy equipment all day long the last thing i want to hear is all the kids from the high school across the road and all their noise at lunch break... otherwise we go to another fast food place and either park and lock everything or else drive through and eat on the way to the next job, usually eat on the way to next job. once every week or two we go to a sit down meal, usually at our favorite mexican restaurant, as a treat. usually that is paid time even though its a few minutes longer than usual.

6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Same here.

Which is why I do it! :D :D :D

7. Northwest

Northwest LawnSite Member

No!
    If they did not stop at Taco Bell, Burger King ect. I guess I could see paying them thru lunch cause you have to pay drive time anyway. My guys stop for a half hour and eat at the restaurant. The majority of businesses out there don't pay for lunch why are you guys giving away money? Maybe you have enough, if so send some my way.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I was totally the opposite. I would not pay for their lunch which was 30 mins. Because I look at it this way, many times during the day they might stop to get a drink or something to snack on, which they were being paid for, so why pay for the long lunch

9. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

To create an incentive for them to get back to work quickly.

It's simple. Because I am paying them all day, but allow them to take up to 30 minute lunch, often they DON'T take the full 30 minutes. Often it's a break between stops or just a quick 15 minute break to eat some tacos from the nearby Taco Truck. Then they are back to work. They're being paid, so I think that creates the idea that they should probably get back to work.

I think NOT paying for lunches creates an incentive for workers to MAKE SURE they take AT LEAST 30 minutes. Sometimes more.

Finally, it's just to be nice. There are few benefits in this industry. I don't provide health insurance for most of my employees, they don't get vacation pay, half of them get laid off every winter, I don't often give out bonuses, they don't have plush expense accounts, they just get to work in the wet grass or mud each and every day. I feel they deserve what few little benefits I CAN afford to give.

10. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

7.5 hours. Deduct their lunch time as it is standard practice.