Pain and suffering

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by TURFLORD, Nov 11, 2005.

1. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

What's the worst you've ever been hurt and still gone to work the next day? This is mainly directed at solo guys being as we have only ourselves to rely on. My worst was 10 stitches up the palm of my hand and between 2 fingers. I left the hospital at 9 PM and was mowing by 8 AM the next morning.

2. Need a Little Trim

Need a Little Trim LawnSite Member

Sharpening a blade with my 4" angle grinder trying to get it done quick cause it needed it. Slipped and grinded my thum to the bone at the joint. Still have that scar....then it got all infected and really nasty.

3. Tyner Lawn Service

Tyner Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

Have had some real sore pulled muscles and always worked. had the flu with a fever one time in late fall and it was 40 degrees and rain, I needed to get done so I worked and even had to throw up in a customers lawn.:dizzy:

4. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm kinda hurtin right now from last night, :drinkup:, and I'm gonna go out and work today....sometime.:p

5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Here's a good one... 2 years ago I was mowing some guys yard who lived in a rural area, I was mowing along and went to duck under some low pine branches and at the last minute saw one of the biggest nastiest looking spider I've ever seen. I leaned back, way back, it barley missed my face as it was falling. I ran the w/b into a stump and sort of fell off the back with my feet still in the damn Velkie, it dragged me about 10 feet until the stupid deadman switch finally realized there was no one at the controls. It dragged me over the same stump causing a nasty deep cut on my arss and back and arms. I came back and found the spider and proceeded to tourch it to death with a can of degreaser and a lighter.

6. jasonnau

jasonnau LawnSite Senior Member

Been there with the flu this year. I was sicker than a dog, it was 90 degrees with high humidity. Had a big pruning job that I needed done. Apparently I didn't drink enough as well that day. All of my muscles started cramping up. Ended up in the urgent care, then to the hospital. Somehow It triggered a thing called rhabdomyolisis in which your muscle cells start breaking down releasing creatine into your blood stream. I had to keep going back to get blood work for 3 months after. In fact I just had my last doctors visit on wednesday. Now, I woke up this morning and my foot feels like it's either broken or strained. I can barely walk. I'm trying to stretch it out so that I can go mow. At least I think I can skip the trimming this week. It hasn't grown that much. If it's broke, I may have to end the season a little early.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Not to steal anyone's thunder, but this is just one reason why I have employees...

8. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

tried to pop a willie over a curb up onto the lawn with my metro 36. I think i was going a little to fast and my mower highcentered and stopped but i didnt.Luckly it was friday and my last lawn of the day but all the next week hurt with three cracked ribs. but the plus side was the home owner said i looked funny humping my mower.moral of the story accidents happen when you rush.

9. jasonnau

jasonnau LawnSite Senior Member

Went to urgent care again! Got some x-rays. My foot is just sprained. Something popped in my ankle about mid day, and It's starting to feel a lot better. Now to make some money. Leaves, Leaves, Leaves!

10. tat900

tat900 LawnSite Senior Member

arkansas summer miidle of agust had heat stroke passed out at 430 pm got a bunch fluids that night went back out at 6 am