Pain in the rear pear tree

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TUCKER467, Mar 24, 2005.

1. TUCKER467

TUCKER467 LawnSite Member

I have a client,for 2 :help: :help: years now, he's a super nice guy always friendly, talks,asks questions , tells what a good job I'm doing but in his front yard he has two pear trees that when in full bloom the limbs are literally on the ground, using the trimmer in and around the trees are a big mess, try and mow u get hit by limbs and u chance on damanging ur equipment, he never picks up the fruit that falls he always implies i should take them and eat them or give them away, I don't know how to approach him on this i think the limbs need to be trimmed and the fruit picked up,is this an ok question or am I just whinning? :help:
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would tell him that it is dangerous for you and your crew, and ask him if you could trim up the tree a tiny bit. I am sure that he would understand. And the problem with fruit on the ground....I would just forget about that at the moment
  3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I got a yard like that with pears. I am always getting hit by bits and pieces of pear lol :realmad: I have never brought it up to the owner
  4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Magnolia trees just has bad esp with all those "hand grenades" on the ground :realmad:
  5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Charles, Isn't it fun when there are fifty thousand yellow jackets around? LOL..I charge this one guy an equipment cleaning fee of $ 10.00, same as dog doo, for the mess his 2 pear trees make on our mowers. They never clean their pears up either...too busy and could care less about them. :realmad:
  6. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

You think Pears are bad! Try Mango trees! :dizzy: Fruit bats take one bite then drop the fruit on the ground. It sits there for a week or 2 fermenting.

I'll leave it there!
    Except, na,.....................
    Hit a few 2 week old oranges! Almost like dog poooooooo!
    Know what you mean. Low lying branches **** me up the wall. Spiders for example let alone when the ear muffs get ripped off!

Gotta love our job! :help:

7. TUCKER467

TUCKER467 LawnSite Member

It's really bad when the fruit falls on the ground and you have to mow or trim on or around it, some times my mower looses traction and the trimmer just slices them up , going to try a push mower if he does not trim the limbs, and I'll raise his price an extra $5, yaw think that sounds fair.
  8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Yea those Yellow Jackets give me the willys. I need to start charging extra too. My line of thought has been-- I leave the customers alone if they leave me alone lol
  9. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

MMLawn, I wished I had a nickel for everyone of those things I have picked up! Much worse than pine cones, or to me anyway.
  10. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I suggest if it is really that much of a pain for you, just take the 15 min and prune the tree back. then next time pay attention to the types of obsticles when you are bidding and bid a little extra to account for the extra trouble.

My favorite thing to run over with the mower is tennis balls and least favorite is black walnuts. Tennis balls are fun, I used to mow a community college that had a giant field next to the tennis courts. You could launch a tennis ball I bet close to 100 yards across the field. It kept us entertained for 4 hours of ring around the rosie. Black walnuts if you have ever encountered them have a mushy outer skin that turns black when ripe, the juice from the skin will turn your skin yellow/brown for a week like iodine.