Painball Field

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Swampy, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

I ask this cause my friend came to me with this question.

I got a buddy thats building a outdoor paintball field here and enlisted my help to do some of his work to wave off any field fee's for my days that I play (and as much as I play I'll be making out on the deal). So anyways he wants 2 180'x100' tournament reg fields put in with real grass not that fake turf they sell, mainly because of cost and that it just doesn't look right next to the real stuff. Plus I want it to look professional like the tournaments on ESPN so he's happy with it and can use it bring in more business.

Now a couple of problems.

1. I know there is a couple of different varieties of seed out there but whats the best to hold up to his costumers/players diving, running around with cleats and such?

2. Also I know from other field owners that use grass on their fields is that the water based paint in a paintball will kill grass when dumped in mass quantities. Now the only thing I can think of installing a sort of sprinkler system to dilute the paint?

I'm pretty sure that more question will arise but thanks a head of time.

2. shsmallengines

shsmallengines LawnSite Member

Grass will not hold up to this needs to go a small pea gravel with a built in drainage system thats the I'm going to build mine at my other business

3. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

what state are you in?

4. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Tall fescue might hold up to the traffic.
    In order to dilute the paint you would have to apply water as soon as it spills on the grass. Once it dries I doubt that any amount of water would dissolve and dilute it.

5. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

WI

Kind of set on grass. You won't get really any traction on pea gravel, but I'm thinking about something with that of just putting down pea gravel around the areas that it would more or less collect in. I.E. around the bunkers, and the edge of the netting.

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

i would consider bermuda just for the fast growth rate in the warm months and over seed with rye in the winter winter months when play is a lot slower...

You will end up with a mud pit i think. not to ways about it. you goingto drop a lot of $$ in maintenance in several years.

7. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Unless this field is going to be very profitable astro-turf or mulch are your best bets for the surface. Seed would require a full year of growth before it would become a good playing surface and even then it would end up a mud pit. Your best bet is to contact directly the maintenance person for these tournaments and see what he says.

8. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

That is what I was thinking. It will need alot of time to get established very well before it will hold up to any kind of traffic. Hell, my yard was fairly established this year and with one 80lb dog, it took alot of damage and needs help in some spots now. I think it would be really tough to find real grass that would hold up. All the fields Ive played on have been turf or mulch.

9. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I play paintball myself, never once have i seen a paintball field with grass, all ways dirt, wood chips, natural earth...all that sliding, tearing up, etc theres no way grass would hold up...natural courses are the way to go.

Jeff

10. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

I also play paintball. the best game by far. The grass will not last through the second week. If you use the Fake grass idea make shore you punch holes through it so the paint will not collect in a pool. One thing you could try is move the bunkers around every 2 weeks so the same spot is not always being torn up. Or another option is to switch up the fields so if you have 4 fields field 1 and 2 get played 1 week 3 and 4 the other. If i were you keep it natural. The only way the fake stuff would work if if you cleaned it up every week.