1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

PAINFUL LESSON: A resolution?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GroundKprs, Mar 9, 2000.

1. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

In respect to the attempt to professionalize the green industry, especially in the maintenance area, there is little you can do to professionalize someone else. Also in attempting to inform clients of your professional position, you sound petty referring to &quot;Lowballers.&quot;<p>I prefer to include these operators in the more general phrase of &quot;Black market econony&quot;, especially when discussing with clients. In any trade, black market operators generally do not have licensing, insurance and other expenses to operate as a legitimate business. I just have not taken the time yet to put it together in a document to present to customers, along with proposals or contracts. I would like to have a easy reading page explaining how to determine if a landscape contractor is operating above-board or black market, and including my own ID numbers to verify that I am operating as a professional.<p>Some of the items to include would be:<p>1- PROPERTY TAX ID# & phone of township assessor for verification- any business is supposed to pay taxes to support the community giving it a livelihood<br>2- INSURANCE CERTIFICATION: liability, workers comp, truck if plowing snow- self-explanatory<br>3- RRMC#(state sales tax): is bsns licensed to collect tax?- once knew an operator who collected tax, but never sent to state, just extra money for him<br>4- business PESTICIDE LICENSE# and phone # of state agency to verify- for those who apply pesticides<br>5- NURSERY DEALER License #- if you are installing live plants<br>6- if more than one person, FEDERAL EMPLOYER ID#- yes, there are good sized operators that just deal in cash to employees<br>7- MEMBERSHIPS in professional groups- local, state, & national trade orgs<p>Please post any additional items you would include, and maybe someday I'll take the time, or maybe Phil could do it? ;) <p>My idea was to have a fill-in-the-blanks form that is self-explanatory. I can put in my numbers, and if client wants a blank form for other bidders, I can just give him a few blank forms. Don't want to beat your chest to client. Just simply explain you are proud to be legitimate, instead of black market, even with extra costs. Also it has to be concise, or people won't read it.<p>In long term, if used by legitimate operators in a given area, this would also help to identify the customers who want black market prices. Let these seek their help from just the black market operators.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana
  2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

This thread was started over 2 years ago and only had 14 views until today.

Jim has a very good idea and I have something simular to this but it could use some updating and improvement. Jim, did you ever complete yours?
  3. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

What about those LCO that are living with their parents?

A good example of national organization would be Lawnsite! :D
  4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

wxmn6 - in our state, business pays property tax. This is true in most every state. I pay property tax on my home, and I pay property tax on my business. Of course, if I didn't tell the tax assessor of my business, he wouldn't know to charge me tax. Sorry, my parents saddled me with the burden of integrity.
    And LawnSite is a bulletin board, a far cry from a professional organization; but then memberships in those cost $$ or $$$ each.

Ray - I never did do one. Had the notes for years before I posted that. (and you got me today, pulling up that oldie) I really don't need it for myself, that thread was a bait for others to add to. Would probably have to have a separate form for each community, if you want to list all legal requirements.

I just relay verbally some of the info. A client of mine used a black market operator to plant annuals and mulch their beds. Last year I asked the lady of the house if they were ready to pay for injury to one of the operator's employees on her property. She was shocked to learn that she would be liable for that, since BMO carried no worker's comp. Her and her kids did all the flowers last year. LOL.