Paing taxes again

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by MNBOY, Jul 3, 2009.

1. MNBOY

MNBOY LawnSite Member

Every quarter after draining my checking account by paying federal, state and unemployment taxes I can't help to feel like I am getting soaked. It really makes me wonder how many other lawn care companies (or fly by nights) are out there actually doing this. I know that I SHOULD be ahead of the curve by doing the right and legal things but there are SO many lawn care companies out there it really makes me wonder what actual percent of them are paying their quarterly dues, etc. My wife won't even talk to me during tax paying time since I get so grumpy about this stuff. Just had to vent.....I still love what I am doing!!!
  2. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

Don't worry, you're not the only one. Have been payin em for years and can't wait to get my social security when I'm older.......not. :usflag:
  3. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I feel ya man. Pisses me off to no end.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

My son was telling me last week that he had to start sending in the withholding weekly......are real bummer.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

i hear ya the last couple people ive hired were acually surprised that i withheld taxes and paid them by check. one of them worked for one of the bigger companies around here for 3 years and told me that he was always just paid cash every week. ive acually had a few people quit because i wouldnt pay them cash.
  6. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

Why do you feel like your get soak or it a real bummer when most of the money you're sending in quarterly (notwithstanding you estimate) has been withheld from your employees and is not your money.
  7. Szafranman

Szafranman LawnSite Member

Is it not still his money when an employer is required to match all social security and Medicare withholdings so he would be paying 7.65% on every dollar his employees make and plus in IL an employer is required to pay 3.1% on every dollar for unemployment. I won't mention federal unemployment because that is usually end of year and not nearly as big as the other three I mentioned. Just a thought as to why we employers feel hosed (ha).
  8. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

actually it is it is half his money since the employer has to pay half of the workers taxes.
  9. zurfsturfcare

zurfsturfcare LawnSite Senior Member

dont forget workers comp too!!!, haha, there are so many!
  10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I would have to say that most of the money was mine.