paint chipping

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by SMBUDDY46, Mar 3, 2005.

1. SMBUDDY46

SMBUDDY46 LawnSite Member

has anyone had alot of paint chiping on their decks. i have a super min z 24/52 and the paint chipped alot around the edges up on top of the deck and of course now i have alot of rusting. what is a good brand of paint that matches the color of these decks.
  2. inthebox2

inthebox2 LawnSite Member

Hustler yellow paint.Part # 747220
  3. mickeyg

mickeyg LawnSite Member

what size does the paint come in? does it also come in spray can version?
  4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

That part # is for a spray can.
    This is the only way we offer it.
    John Deere "construction yellow" is about as close as you can get to Hustler paint, you can generally find it @ farm equipment type stores.

5. inthebox2

inthebox2 LawnSite Member

It comes in an 11.5 oz. spray can.You can buy it by the can,6 pack or case.
  6. Downunder Bob

Downunder Bob LawnSite Member

I must admit I'm a little disappointed with the paint quality on my mini-z.
    One of the reasons I went for the Hustler was this quote on the web sight.
    Hustler Turf Equipment has increased the durability of the lawn mowers it manufactures by installing a state-of-the-art 9-stage washer and powder-coat paint system in it’s production line.
    This system bonds the paint to the metal in a much more durable fashion than wet paint systems.
    This procedure virtually eliminates paint chipping and scratching, giving the owner added security on their investment. Now your new Hustler mower will look beautiful for years to come.
    I’m getting a little paint chipping on the deck also but my main concern is that rust could be forming between the two sheets of steel that make up the top of the deck as I’ve noticed brown stains where the seem isn’t welded.
    Don’t get me wrong, the way this mower’s built will see me out easy, just that resale being the way it is, a mower must not only be in good condition mechanically, but look good to.
  7. Traw

Traw LawnSite Member

My mini z 24/52 has some paint peeling off and also some places that rust has developed under the paint. Is this covered under the warranty.
  8. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

It is a fact that currently we have the most advanced paint system on the market being used for this type of application (mowers).
    If you believe you have a paint issue we need to know about it.
    Please contact your dealer and they will inspect it for us, we need the dealer to see it and report back for us, then we can let the dealer know how to handle it.

9. beaubob

beaubob LawnSite Member

I had some chips on my brand new Super Z assembled out of the box last summer. Some along the edges of the metal. Like the edge on the wing, the paint just flaked off. Thanks for the info on the touch up paint, that is probably what I will do. Something tells me I will just get laughed at for pointing out a paint chip on a mower.... ;)
  10. cdolor

cdolor LawnSite Member

I'm also one that is funny about upkeep on my mower. I bought a 20/52 Fastrak and I've had to touch-up paint on the deck (the areas others spoke of). My neighbors think I'm nuts because I wax my mower and keep Armor-all on the seat, tanks, and tires. But what the heck, my 13 year old Craftsman 20 HP Garden Tractor still runs at 1640 hours. The only reason I replaced it was it had a bad PTO clutch ($450) and it seemed crazy to spend that much dime on a tractor that old. I would expect my Fastrak to last much longer as it is much better built.
    Great Machines......