Paint on Bedliners

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by canyonbc, Dec 26, 2008.

1. canyonbc

canyonbc LawnSite Member

Hello All.

I wanted to get your advice.

I wanted to see if anyone out there had used the Hericules painted on bed liner from Kragen.

The kit is normally $ 99

It was on sale for $ 69.99

Then there was a $ 50 dollar mail in rebate form.

It seemed cheap, and I am going to put it in the back of a Ranger.

As anyone used the product of products alike, any suggestions on how to apply it outside of following the directions.

2. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Never used it but I heard it flakes off?

3. canyonbc

canyonbc LawnSite Member

O really...that is not a good thing to here.

Was it under extreme conditions?
    Sat under the sun a lot?

Its an 98 and I had a stock liner in it until a couple months ago when I put a custom lumber back on it...had to take that liner out.

I have looked at Rhino and Line X - they all seem to be in the 425-500 range.

I am not looking for the longest last in the book but do want something that will last.

4. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

I have always lived by "cheap is never good, and good is never cheap" It would really suck if you use this and it runined your truck. Good luck and hopefully someone who actually used it will chime in.

5. canyonbc

canyonbc LawnSite Member

I think that is a great quote to live by, and I do a lot.

I am hoping too.

Please, pleas, please...

Thank you for the info.

6. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

I've never used those particular ones, but you could put one of those on and then get one of them $40 bed mats for the floor, that's where most of the abuse is anyway...you get what you pay for, and I think the Prep before the application is 80% to 90% of the job!!! Good Luck!!!

7. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

The "do-it-yourself" spray on bedlines, in a can or roll on type, have know issues. here's what I have found.

Pro's:

1.) cost effective vs professional spray on
    2.) do it yourself
    3.) gives a durable finish for a fraction of the cost.

Con's

1.) while a durable finish, does not last like a professional spray on liner.
    2.) frequent touch-ups
    3.) not a lifetime bed liner

If your looking to save money? the spray on bedliners works. But know that a do-it-yourself liner will not hold up to the commercial abuse or sometimes the residential abuse a homeowner would dish out.

Nothing will repalce a good sprayed on bedliner. I would try to save up for the real thing.

8. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Am I the only person that actually likes the plastic bedliners?:laugh: I think I am. I just for some reason have always liked them better...and they're cheap.

9. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

the plastic in bedlines are cheap, if you ever have to mount a goosenech hitch their a pain in the arse, and must be removed for a accurate measurement for the 4" hole cut:cry:. have you looked under the plastic liner in a while:confused: depending on the climate the plastic liner can accelerate bed corrison, and rust. The plastic liners are always moving around may not be visable to the naked eye. In a couple if years a truck bed finish is worn to the metal with plastic liner:dizzy:

10. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I can see how mounting a gooseneck hitch could be a pain. I've never used one. But I've used these bedliners for a long time and never had a problem, as long as you take it out and give it a good cleaning every now and again. Plus now that I've found fluid film I will be using that under the bedliner to prevent corrosion. Just never really saw that big of a problem with them.