1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Paint on Western plow......too late?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Mike Hughes, Jan 19, 2001.

1. Mike Hughes

Mike Hughes LawnSite Member

I have heard that Western had issues with paint on their plows in the past. I have a western 7.5 which is in sad shape for being only a year old or so. I bought the truck used in November......its a 2000. Do you think I can get anything done about this problem?

It looks terrible to drive a clean, new truck with a plow that looks like you stole it out of a junkyard.

FIREMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from n.j.

I personally have never tried to obtain any kind of warranty repair on a plow...they always seem to break when there is no one there to fix it but you anyway.lol..But seriously for the time and effort you might spend trying to get western to pay for a paint job it might be easier to go to the home depot and buy a can of stripper and a wire wheel/paint remover for your drill and some rustoleum rusty metal primer and order some western paint. To spend 50.00 of the money made plowing and spring afternoon making your plow as pretty as your truck isn't as bad as you'd think...
    A couple of cold beers makes enjoyable ....lol
  3. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

If that plow is a year old, Im only 12 years old and too young to drive my plow truck. Especially if you factor in the really lame winter we had last year. Unless they left that thing laying next to the beach somewhere where the tide would roll up against and then dry out, I think someones snookering you on that year old story.

4. plow are painted once a year, usually in june or july (too much work in the spring) on fisher we usually have to rebuilt some coil spring shoes too. this way you're set early in the fall.

during the winter you can do some on spot touch up if necessary. We use yellow tremclad (40 $/gal. cdn money). if you have a paint gun it is easiest. Don't forget the harness

A rusty plow will be the same as you apply a snow glue on it.

and definitively there a lot of rust for 1 years of use ( even if it was in John Allin area)

[Edited by 4 Saisons on 01-20-2001 at 12:30 AM]
  5. does the plow is still straight??? or the molboard, does it look like that someone plow big rocks with it ??

If your answer is that the plow doesn't look abused by the past, & it's really a 1 year one, you need to show it to your nearly western dealer!
  6. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

GREAT looking truck!

My plow is 19 years old, same age as truck, I had it sandblasted and painted last summer. I am sorry I didn't do the work my self, I will do it right this summer, a company that does powder coat work, asked me if I had herd of POR-15, which I had, they said use it, it will last longer, that is what 2 of their employees have done with their plows.

I talked to Western dealer today checking on a MVP plow, discussed a similar situation with them. They said to contact a dealer or Western directly, maybe you can get something done.

Do you have a friendly dealer you know close by?

If you are a member of SIMA, maybe they can give you some help, don't know I haven't joined them yet.

P.S. website for POR-15 (love the stuff) http://www.por15.com

Sorry for the long post!!
  7. john r

john r LawnSite Member

I'ts my understanding Western has a 2 year warantee on there plows. Get your receipt out!!!! Beautiful day in your picture!!

PINEISLAND1 LawnSite Member
    from WEST MI

I've got a Pro Plow 7.5 that was purchased in November of '99, and I've gotta say it looks like new. I think the finish is almost perfect. It has, untill this season when an new driver has it, been stored inside the whole time though. And I keep it waxed with turtle wax regularly.
  9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 7.5 pro-plow,it too looks exactly the same as Mike's,and its 3 yrs old.The plow has about 30 hrs of use on it.It is rusting everywhere so bad ,I dont think ill ever buy another one.I an mot the original owner,so i dont think i am entitled to warranty.The truck was clean the owner took care of it,and gave me receipts,to the plow and every yr he had it serviced,only did his drive with it and 2 neighbors,all blacktop too.Mt 93 Fisher has never been repainted and it looks like new yet,a few chips here and there,but thats it.

PINEISLAND1 LawnSite Member
    from WEST MI

I didn't say this in my post, but if my Pro Plow looked like that, It ould be sitting on the sidewalk of my western dealer Monday morning, and something would be done about it before I left.